Change location settings
    I have a MAC Mini which I bought from a UK apple store. I am running OS-X

Whenever I open a website safari will always default to open the US version rather than the UK. The most annoying of these is Ebay, but it tends to do it with any site that has a .com and a version.

This happens whenever I just type the short version of the web address without specifying the part.

It is really annoying, how can I fix this problem? I normally use google chrome on my other PCs but on MAC have to use Safari (I don't like Firefox), and the problem is driving me crazy.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

The Republic of Neptune
    Hmmmm. I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but try deleting your pref file for Safari (, found in ~/Library/Preferences. Perhaps this will reset it.

Also... in System Preferences > International, is your language set as UK? I doubt this would affect this problem, but worth a shot. Actually... this may do it. According to this page from Apple, Safari uses your operating system’s regional settings to determine your location, then customizes your bookmarks based on region.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information