New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Accidently deleted the "Mac HD" icon from the desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dezertjeepin

Dezertjeepin is on a distinguished road

I accidently deleted the Macintosh HD icon from the desktop and when trying to drag the same icon in the Finder window, and drop it onto the desktop to put it back, that disappeared too! How do i find it again to put it back on the desktop and the left column of the finder window? I know i can still access my info by clicking on the finder icon in the dock, but I'm just used to having it on the desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Try clicking on Finder up in the bar and on preferences. Check the Pic below.

Click on the General Tab and be sure there is a check mark by Hard disks.

Let us know if that works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (49.7 KB, 22 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Open Finder Preferences (⌘,) when a Finder window or the desktop has the focus. On the General page, make sure Hard Disks has a check mark next to it. If it is already checked, uncheck it and then recheck it. The Macintosh HD icon should return to your desktop.

To get it back on the sidebar, open a Finder window and right click on the small icon at the very top of the window that shows the folder name. From the list, choose the name of your computer and you should now see all the drives attached to your system. Just drag the Macintosh HD icon back to the sidebar.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertjeepin View Post
I accidently deleted the Macintosh HD icon from the desktop...
How? When I drag mine to the Trash, the Trash icon changes to an Eject icon. I'm too chicken to release.

"How do i find it again to put it back (in the) left column of the finder window?"
Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Devices... check it
QUOTE Thanks
Gadgetmo

Gadgetmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
How? When I drag mine to the Trash, the Trash icon changes to an Eject icon. I'm too chicken to release.
nothing happened when i released... it just floated back
QUOTE Thanks
Dezertjeepin

Dezertjeepin is on a distinguished road

Im not sure how it disappeared off the desktop, so i thought that since you can drag folders to the desktop from the finder menu i thought i could just drag the HD icon from there as well and thats when that disappeared. It worked and now I'm back on track! thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

OK, but...

"folders... from the finder menu"? I think you mean finder window.

What worked? ...to get you "back on track" that is.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to open Applications. | Connect to server question OSX 10.5 »