New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

swf, flv, wma, wmv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bboyreason

bboyreason is an unknown at this point

i have dl'ed multiple shareware and freeware apps from the apple site that were supposed to play and convert multiple media types, most importantly swf, flv, wma, wmv;
each app that i dl'ed either gave codec overrun error or was damaged in extracting with stuffit;
i have vlc player installed, is there some sort of conflict going on?
other files zip and unzip fine with stuffit, other programs can be installed fine;
i have just had no luck with either getting the files to play in quicktime(free version) or an easy to use converter to .mov or .avi or .mp4
anyone have a good program that is free?
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Perian
Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

Download this then most of those file formats will work in quicktime. Should work for VLC too.
And for the wmv, you can use flip4mac.
And lastly, if the music/video you want to play is a drm encrypted wmv/wma file then it can not ever (as far as I know) be played on a Mac. Only drm free wmv/wma can be played on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MobileMe Login | When Data Rescue fails? »