New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Desktop crashing and restarting any time I click on it

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

uillchi

uillchi is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this problem. First of all, when I start my computer, it will take five to ten minutes for my desktop screen to load, although the application bar at the bottom loads fine and I can start accessing applications right away.

Secondly, any time I click on my desktop while I have an application open, the finder will crash, my desktop will disappear and it will take about ten minutes for it to load again.

And any time I close all applications so that only the finder is open, it will crash and take about ten minutes to reload.

Can someone help me with this problem?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forumns.

Whart type of machine are you running as your avatar does not provide this information? First up go into System Preference and see what Log In items are shown as that is way too long.

Next pop in disc one of the original install discs and run Apple Hardware Test. This will examine the drive, logic board, memory and graphics.
QUOTE Thanks
uillchi

Sorry. My processor is 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo and my Memory is 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I actually don't have the original install discs, I put them in storage when I had to move last year, is there anything else I can do?
QUOTE Thanks
uillchi

My login items are:

ITunes Helper

CNQL3202 Button Manager

Microsoft AU Daemon

Adobe Resource Synchronizer

Speech Synthesis Server

HOMERunner (for Tom Tom GPS)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Delete them all from Log In Items and watch for a dramatic improvement.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uillchi View Post
I actually don't have the original install discs, I put them in storage when I had to move last year...
If deleting those login items doesn't help, go get the discs!

First, you could try replacing the Desktop's plist file, although it might not be the culprit, it won't hurt to try it.

The path to it is:

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Place the file on the Desktop, if you can. Place it in the Trash if that fails.
Restart the computer. This will make a "fresh" default plist file in the original location.
It's safe to empty the Trash, but you can get that file out and put it back if you don't want to reset customized preferences, if you had any.
Of course, if that fixes the problem, you don't want that old file anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
uillchi

Sorry I haven't responded, I was out of town. It looks like both those tips fixed it! Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to i change to USB audio? | Clean re-install of Snow Leopard »