New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

issue with switching programs via dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iamkalive

iamkalive is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Last week noticed a weird issue when I switch between programs via my dock.

Usually, whenever you have programs open and you click on the item via the dock, the item would pop up or you get taken to the desktop it is located on, and it pops up.

Now I notice that when i click on the item via the dock, it does not take me to the item anymore. NEither my desktop nor my programs popped up. It just stays as the current desktop.

Any ideas why? It is such a useful feature.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Move that file to your Desktop.
Click on the Dock, then the Desktop, then the Dock again.
This will create a new, default plist file.
Any better?
QUOTE Thanks
iamkalive

iamkalive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Move that file to your Desktop.
Click on the Dock, then the Desktop, then the Dock again.
This will create a new, default plist file.
Any better?
Nope. It did not create a new one. I still got the original file on my desktop.
I clicked one icon->desktop->icon. Nothing happend.

I did forget to mention that it does switch you look at the menu bar just the screen itself doesn't pop up.

(should I replace original file in there?)

I also just noticed that my spaces isn't enabled for some reason. It usually is. When i do go to enable it, the check box becomes marked but it does not lock in the change. Every time I go back, the box is unchecked. I usually have the spaces icon on my menu bar. It is there. but instead of displaying desktop number, it has all 4 squares there.

Maybe something wrong with my spaces?

Thanks
----
UPDATE---

Well after restarting my computer the doc seems to have reset to its original position (bottom of the screen, as compared to where I had it at the left side.) And the switching between Items works now. MYy spaces thing seems to work now.

So maybe that dock file i removed fixed the spaces issue to? That is still a little confusing to me.

But everything works good again now.Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Ok, sorry. That worked for me one time, I swear. But, I had a Dock issue yesterday, and tried the same steps, and it did not make a new plist. I have since Restarted, and now have a new one, plus the one that's still sitting on my Desktop. As you've discovered, that restores your Dock to the defaults.

I really had trouble following all the ins and outs of your first post. So I'm not sure that you had two issues, but glad it's all good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why can't I boot into 64 bit! | Trying to install Snow Leopard... »