New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Installation Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

energyb

energyb is on a distinguished road

Hi, we just installed Microsoft 2008 for student and office. The installation went fine. We have the applications in our finder and can open the programs. However, when we move them to the dock, the icons do not display.
How do I solve this problem?

Alternatively, I guess I could uninstall the software and re-install it. Will I be able to do this a second-time around?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Do the icons show in the Dock when running the apps? If so, run the app, then right-click on the Dock icon and select the option to make it stay in the Dock.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

Do you have the microsoft folder in the application folder? Have you tried moving that next to application folder to see if it stays there?

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As stated MS Office folder should be in the applications folder by default, simply drag component icons, such as Word etc, to the Dock. This creates an alias in the Dock which you can open by selecting. You probably will not want all the Office icons in the Dock, as Excel and PowerPoint are not that frequently used.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyb View Post
We have the applications in our finder and can open the programs. However, when we move them to the dock, the icons do not display.
How do I solve this problem?
Ok, you want the applications to be available in the Dock. They go on the left side of the faint white dashed line. They will not stay if you drag them to the right side. Does that do it for you?

Just in case...
If you drag any icon off the Dock and release the mouse, an image of a puff of smoke appears, and the item disappears. Then you'll have to go find the original, and drag it back to the Dock. Again, applications on the left, folders (which then are called Stacks when in the Dock) and files on the right.
QUOTE Thanks
LostinNY

LostinNY is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys...

Something is strange started happening recently on my Snow Leopard 10.6.2 desktop:

The Hard Drive Icon, instead of being that nice looking "stainless steel" icon color..is now a yucky, orange Plastic HD icon!

..and the Menu Bar, has somehow, chose to "install" my name on it~

Can someone PLEASE help me correct this mistake, since I have already tried to Delete the "Com.Apple.Finder plist"...and even used Disk Utility's "Repair, Check & Confirm" Permissions options...and still have that ugly plastic HD icon on the desktop and my name in the Menu Bar~!

Thanks for listening....
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinNY View Post
Hi Guys...

Something is strange started happening recently on my Snow Leopard 10.6.2 desktop:

The Hard Drive Icon, instead of being that nice looking "stainless steel" icon color..is now a yucky, orange Plastic HD icon!
That drive icon is the one used for an external drive of some sort. I don't recognize that logo on the drive though. Maybe you just need to run a cache cleaning utility. Grab Onyx or Ice Clean and run those tools.

Quote:
..and the Menu Bar, has somehow, chose to "install" my name on it~
If you click on your name, do you get the option to switch to a different user? If so… you have Fast User Switching enabled. Go to System Prefs > Accounts > Login Options to fix.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.5.8 not letting me install ANYTHING! | How do I get rid of partitioned drive? »