New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Hangs after reducing the Hard Disk Size Considerably

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alisajjad

alisajjad is on a distinguished road

Hello
i have MacBook Pro4,1 with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor and 4GB RAM including 200GB SATA, 5400 hard Disk. It has Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and i updated it last week, everything was OK and working fine but suddenly it starts hanging after reducing the Hard Disk Space considerably and enormously like i have 80GB free space and i heard the little hard disk access voices and it then starts decreasing and at almost 60-61GB the already running Applications are not responding and when i move the cursor it hangs after few seconds and i have to shutdown from the power button, i don,t want to reinstall as i have lot of applications and configured stuff

thanks in advance for any sort of help and guidance in this regard

Best Regards

Bye
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm not clear on what you mean by "after reducing the Hard Disk Space considerably". What exactly did you do?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
alisajjad

alisajjad is on a distinguished road

Hello
bundle of thanks for answering after going through my bad explanation as i am newbie to Mac

Let me explain in steps

i have opened lot of applications like firefox, zimbra thunderbird etc and browsing on my MacBook Pro

the hard disk size shows me 80GB free(Available)

after some time the hard disk sound appears that some scanning application is being launched but actually no scanning and/or other low level application like that is launched
(i can not say about background applications etc)

the Hard Disk Available Size starts reducing enormously and after considerable reduction like Hard Disk Icon on Desktop shows 60GB free

the running applications do not respond any more but still i can move the cursor

after some seconds the system hangs leaving the cursor unmovable

the caps lock works but there is no response by pressing other function keys

and i have to shut down manually by pressing the power button

sorry i n advance still i am not able to convey what i want

any how i am really thankful for your guidance

Best Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Problems since update | HOW-TO: Integrating Snow Leopard w/LDAP & Automounter »