New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Weird Menus and Shortcuts Problem OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DJDannyDarko

DJDannyDarko is on a distinguished road

Has anyone seen this before? It's driving me crazy and no one seems to know what's caused it.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weird.jpg (85.2 KB, 19 views)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Not I.
Would you like help brainstorming how to fix it?
If so, more info on your Mac, your OS, and what you've tried would be needed.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

I have read about this before , and if I remember well, this is related to an issue with your fonts.

Have a search on this forum on issues with fonts and you will find something I'm sure.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
DJDannyDarko

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Fonts is where my guess was lying. I looked at several of the font folders and nothing seems to be missing that I can tell. Also, the user (it's not my computer) claims that it happened all of a sudden without making any changes (but I don't usually take that at face value).

So far I tried copying a pile of fonts from the user directory into the SYstem\library\fonts directory just in case, and that doesn't seem to have solved the problem. The really weird thing is, if you slow click on the desktop items so that you can rename them, the text comes up normal (while you edit them).

I wish I had more info on the OS version. I'm not at their computer anymore (but if I get back on I'll definitely give you as much info as I can). I believe it is Leopard, not Snow Leopard.

Any suggestions to further try and fix it if it IS a font problem? I'm not really a mac technician, though I do have a Mac of my own that I've done some comparisons with and can use if necessary to try and replace missing files.

Thank you VERY much in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Yffum

Yffum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box

Unless you have changed the theme of the dock and menu bar and the folder icons, this looks like Tiger or older to me.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDannyDarko View Post
Any suggestions to further try and fix it if it IS a font problem? I'm not really a mac technician, though I do have a Mac of my own that I've done some comparisons with and can use if necessary to try and replace missing files.
Try reading over this troubleshooting guide regarding font issues and see if there's a solution there.
CreativeTechs Tips: Garbled Font Fix: Corrupt Font Cache

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

dude, some background on what you were doing, or what you were installing/modifying would really help us help you. Also, what version of OSX are you using?

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
DJDannyDarko

As I mentioned, it's not my computer. The user claims she did nothing (which I mentioned I don't really believe because nothing is usually the result of doing nothing, whereas doing something is the more likely way for something to happen).

The other member is probably right, it probably is Tiger then, I'm just not that familiar with Mac computers. It's a PowerBook G4 15", so that makes sense (I didn't know that until now. As I said, I only saw it on-site for a very short time, after that I was logged onto it remotely).

I am going to have a look at the link about font corruption, thanks for that!

If anyone else happens to read this, and has had the exact same problem in Tiger, I'd love to know how you solved it.

Thank you all again for your help. It's really nice to find a forum where people are polite, courteous and helpful!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cant get OSX snow leopard instal disc to eject | virus on mac - pop up when i go on the internet »