Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   virus on mac - pop up when i go on the internet (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/197856-virus-mac-pop-up-when-i-go-internet.html)

sunflowerfibers 04-08-2010 10:42 PM

virus on mac - pop up when i go on the internet

i was wondering if i need a virus checker because i get the message about your system could be at risk and to download this and it has microsoft on it.

i always say no but why do you get this. i am fully mac. Do i need a virus checker or spyware
thanks

6string 04-08-2010 10:59 PM

No no no!
It is a trick to try and get you to install Microsoft Anti Virus software, or malware.

In your browser preferences, block pop ups, and also, Download OnyX for your version of OS X whatever that is, and clean out all your cookies, or alternatively, for Safari, reset Safari, and for Firefox, go to tools>clear recent history.
Without info on what OS X version you are using, or what browser you are using, this is the most precise info I can give you.

toMACsh 04-09-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflowerfibers (Post 1032547)
i always say no but why do you get this. ... Do i need a virus checker

Good for you - because someone's being naughty. ... No, as no virus for the Mac exists.

DaFlake 04-09-2010 10:14 AM

Scareware that will install Malware on a Windows box. Just ignore it and stay off of sites that have it as they are generally bad sites.

sunflowerfibers 04-09-2010 01:55 PM

i have mac os 10.6.3 and

i use firefox.

harryb2448 04-09-2010 06:14 PM

Just make sure you have block pop-ups activated in Firefox > Preferences > Content and empty the cache from time to time.

dtravis7 04-09-2010 06:37 PM

It sounds like that Scare-Tactic Virus sight is in Firefox's cache. I would empty it and it should go away unless you go back to the page that stated the whole thing.

Oneironaut 04-09-2010 06:41 PM

Don't worry, sunflowerfibers. The site is not getting any information about your computer. It's assuming that like most people you have a Windows machine and is trying to trick you into downloading something it claims you need. That's why it's telling you that Microsoft needs you to download it.

Even if you were to download whatever it is, it won't run on your Mac, which uses a totally different file type.

Bahja 04-09-2010 06:44 PM

Do you guys think that a virus will eventually surface for Mac?

I am new to Mac so i am Niave. I always wonder if some hacker/ virus maker type nerd has been sitting for years in his mums cold basement making up a virus that will badly damage mac software????

harryb2448 04-09-2010 06:46 PM

Do not worry about it. The world press would joyously trumpet if ever a Mac OS X virus crops up. Symantec, McAfee and others would faint with the pure joy of it all!

Bahja 04-09-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 1033069)
Do not worry about it. The world press would joyously trumpet if ever a Mac OS X virus crops up. Symantec, McAfee and others would faint with the pure joy of it all!

I whole heartedly agree with that. But do you not think it is bound to happen one day?

DarkestRitual 04-09-2010 07:03 PM

No. That's why UNIX has been around for over 30 years, and will continue to be implemented in iPhone OS for years to come.

DaFlake 04-09-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahja (Post 1033077)
I whole heartedly agree with that. But do you not think it is bound to happen one day?

Anything can happen but until then there is nothing to worry about.