New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Tiger to leopard help.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lakenz

Lakenz is on a distinguished road

I am thinking about upgrading from tiger to leopard. I am not sure if it will slow my machine down more though. I have heard since core duo is 64bit it will run faster. Well this is my specs:

Macbook Pro
Cpu: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1600

Would this slow it down?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to MacForums
If anything, your machine will run a lot faster....
Just one word of advise..... Do a clean install, by booting off SL disc, erasing your HD, and then continuing with installation!
Happy Mac'n
QUOTE Thanks
Lakenz

Thanks. I would like to keep my files, with out the inconvenience of backup. Would it make a difference if I just upgrade instead of clean install?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

If you want to keep your files, I would highly recommend a backup, which ever way you go of upgrading, unless you don't care about data loss if something goes wrong.
Adding to that, any significant change to your system, should never be made without a backup, and if your HD fails, well..... all gone!

Many things can go wrong when upgrading, and clean installs have a better rate of success, esp from tiger to Snow Leopard when skipping Leopard.

Inconvenience of backup VS inconvenience of data loss!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you're not backing up, you're going to eventually lose all your files anyway, so why not just destroy them now?

Seriously. If you're not backing up, you're going to be back here begging for help at some point sooner or later.

Your original post said going from Tiger to Leopard, which has a ton of nice features but won't run particularly faster. If you mean Tiger to SNOW Leopard, then yes you should see some significant pickup, but again ... it's not an "inconvenience" to backup your files. It's a necessity.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Oops.... I misread somehow and saw SL. Must be those late nights
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakenz View Post
I would like to keep my files, with out the inconvenience of backup.
What!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
n ... it's not an "inconvenience" to backup your files. It's a necessity.
Those were the words right on my fingertips.

Leopard might still be available from Apple, but they could be running out. Just about a month ago someone posted that they bought it for $80 US by calling Apple's toll free "online store" number. You can't find it online at Apple's site.

You can find it on eBay, but you have to be careful. Don't buy grey discs. They are model-specific and that means a 99% chance they won't install on your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Lakenz

Ok, thanks guys. I think I will back-up. Its seems like a really good idea!

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Are you planning on upgrading to just Leopard (10.5), or are you upgrading to the current operating system which is Snow Leopard (10.6)? You said Leopard in your original post, I would suggest you upgrade to Snow Leopard. You will notice a better speed performance in your Core Duo Macbook Pro. I had one of your same models and upgrading to Snow Leopard was even faster than Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Lakenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
Are you planning on upgrading to just Leopard (10.5), or are you upgrading to the current operating system which is Snow Leopard (10.6)? You said Leopard in your original post, I would suggest you upgrade to Snow Leopard. You will notice a better speed performance in your Core Duo Macbook Pro. I had one of your same models and upgrading to Snow Leopard was even faster than Leopard.
Good idea, thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What to do with backup folders after replacing my hard drive? | Missing Folders and Files!! »