New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Images Not Showing in "Preview" Application

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

c1ph3rtxt

c1ph3rtxt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Snow Leopard 10.6 iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, Hitachi HDT721 640GB

I can see the thumbnail view on both the desktop and in the finder, however when I click on the image to open them up in the Preview application I just get a blank space. The file can be opened, as there is the file name in the title bar, however the image is not displayed. This was working up until today, and no changes that I know of or am aware of have been made to the system.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

First up, try just rebooting.
If this doesn't resolve it, try repairing disk permissions.
2ways to get there:
1: click desktop>click go in finder menu>utilities>disk utility or
2: applications>utilities>disk utility
When you are there, click on the partition in the left column under the model of the HD, and click repair permissions.
You could also use OnyX... and I can't give you the link to the right version as I don't know what versions of OS X you are running and on what Mac
I would probably also recommend a software update if I knew the above info.
QUOTE Thanks
c1ph3rtxt

Mac Specs: Snow Leopard 10.6 iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, Hitachi HDT721 640GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
First up, try just rebooting.
If this doesn't resolve it, try repairing disk permissions.
2ways to get there:
1: click desktop>click go in finder menu>utilities>disk utility or
2: applications>utilities>disk utility
When you are there, click on the partition in the left column under the model of the HD, and click repair permissions.
You could also use OnyX... and I can't give you the link to the right version as I don't know what versions of OS X you are running and on what Mac
I would probably also recommend a software update if I knew the above info.
Sorry...I seemed to have focused more on the problem than the details to help with the problem at the original post. I'm running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.45f0
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

OK.... I would download OnyX for OS X 10.6 or later and run the automation tab once it has checked the smart status and verified the disk.
Then I'd download and install the OS X 10.6.3 Combo update
Post back with the results.
QUOTE Thanks
c1ph3rtxt

Also, I ran disk permissions and this is what it says

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man1/reset.1.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "usr/share/man/man1/reset.1.gz".
Permissions differ on "usr/share/man/man3/tputs.3x.gz", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "usr/share/man/man3/tputs.3x.gz".
Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "usr/share/derby".
Group differs on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be 0, group is 80.
Repaired "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources".
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Does this help at all?

"The Question is not how far. The question is, Do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith to go as far as needed?"
QUOTE Thanks
6string

All the repaired permissions, that is fine as they are repaired.

Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "usr/share/derby".
and
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
These 2 are nothing to worry about and will come up every time you run permissions repair.

Has the Preview problem been rectified?
If not, follow my steps in the my second post.
QUOTE Thanks
c1ph3rtxt

Quote:
OK.... I would download OnyX for OS X 10.6 or later and run the automation tab once it has checked the smart status and verified the disk.
Then I'd download and install the OS X 10.6.3 Combo update
Post back with the results.
When starting Onyx a Choose Application dialog box pops up and it asks "where is soffice?"

"The Question is not how far. The question is, Do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith to go as far as needed?"
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Hey... I don't understand why you are getting this.

Did you download it from the link I gave you and pop it into your app folder?

Please post a screenshot of what you are getting!
QUOTE Thanks
c1ph3rtxt

Quote:
Hey... I don't understand why you are getting this.

Did you download it from the link I gave you and pop it into your app folder?

Please post a screenshot of what you are getting!
I fixed it, it's a file in OpenOffice, I ran the Onyx and it said to restart and I did...and currently I'm downloading the Snow Leopard update you recommended

QUOTE Thanks
6string

I figured it was a file in OpenOffice, but as to why this was popping up with OnyX was my query.
Have you tested it since running OnyX?
Anyway, let us know how it goes.
QUOTE Thanks
c1ph3rtxt

Quote:
I figured it was a file in OpenOffice, but as to why this was popping up with OnyX was my query.
Have you tested it since running OnyX?
Anyway, let us know how it goes.
I still get a blank file when trying to open it after running Onyx. I'm still downloading the software updates, it's a decent size file, 784MB

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Another thing that I forgot to suggest, is to go to user/library/preferences and drag com.apple.Preview.plist to the desktop and reboot and see if that worked, which you can still do, but best not to interrupt the download, and wait until it's finished.
QUOTE Thanks
c1ph3rtxt

Quote:
Another thing that I forgot to suggest, is to go to user/library/preferences and drag com.apple.Preview.plist to the desktop and reboot and see if that worked, which you can still do, but best not to interrupt the download, and wait until it's finished.
That file is missing from that directory

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Nah.... it's gotta be there ....Library in your home folder!
QUOTE Thanks
c1ph3rtxt

Quote:
Nah.... it's gotta be there ....Library in your home folder!
I even did a search for it and no files came up, I checked that same folder and it was gone. Whatever that update did worked, and I now can view the image files in preview. Thank you for your help and time it was much appreciated.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 Mouse Cursors 1 Mac | dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libaprutil-1.0.dylib »