New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

mlb-nexdef-autobahn

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pennerstories

pennerstories is on a distinguished road

This mlb-nexdef-autobahn is always running in the background eating up memory. I am unable to quit the process because it just comes back again.

I believe this bugger loaded when I used to watch mlb games off of mlb.com.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

I use snow leopard
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Welcome to Mac-Forums!

SysPrefs > Account > Login Items ... any sign of mlb there? If so, remove.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
HeathH

HeathH is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you got this done, but here is the link on how to uninstall.

Autobahn - FAQs
QUOTE Thanks
iansears

iansears is on a distinguished road

That site's domain name expired a month ago.

I suspect that the mlb.com swarmcast autobahn thing was installed, yeah, when mlb was opted for on this machine I'm using here.

there no longer is the above link to the faq, or the tld either. And no, the mlb anything does not apear in the startup items under any accounts.

In Finder, I view invisible files and I of course see a [.autobahn] in the root of one of the user accounts on this osx Leopard machine. I'm going to simply delete it and see if the machine still works.

Perhaps getautobahn.com went out of business because they were sued by osx users complaining that they put no readme.txt file in their invisible root directory called .autobahn to let users know what they were up to?? joking.

buh-bye nefarious .autobahn directory.....

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
ShedUpperMan

ShedUpperMan is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone

I use mlb.com and found mlbnexdefautobahn sitting in memory (that's not the bad bit) but was transmitting approx 100k/sec according to App Monitor - yikes ! Even though I hadn't watched baseball for days... Killed process, traffic dropped to bytes.

If you want to keep it, there are a few sites around with advice, for example:

MLB.tv NexDef On OS X | langui.sh

Uninstall info from mlb.com

C. Mac OSX:
1. Go to your account's user folder
2. From your user folder go in to the Library folder, then the Application Support folder, and finally the Swarmcast folder.
3. In the Swarmcast folder, double click on "UninstallAutobahn.command"
4. A Terminal window will open and complete the uninstall process.

The reason I discovered this is that my ISP choked me as my usage went through the roof! Nasty little programme...
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Because of the age of this topic, and the likelihood that people affected have 'moved on', would you consider posting the solution you've found to them via Private Message (maybe you've done so already). All kudos to you for posting.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
ShedUpperMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Because of the age of this topic, and the likelihood that people affected have 'moved on', would you consider posting the solution you've found to them via Private Message (maybe you've done so already). All kudos to you for posting.
Good thought, I have PMed the originator of the topic.
QUOTE Thanks
kurrent

kurrent is on a distinguished road

thanks ShedUpperMan, i found this solution you posted via a google search and it worked for me.

it's too bad this app won't launch "on demand.

mlbnextdefautobahn.app was using 30 megs of memory in the background and wouldn't stop when i would kill the process.
QUOTE Thanks
esenator

esenator is on a distinguished road

My computer which runs lion doesn't have a swarmcast folder, any idea how to get rid of this thing any other way?
QUOTE Thanks
ShedUpperMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by esenator View Post
My computer which runs lion doesn't have a swarmcast folder, any idea how to get rid of this thing any other way?
I can only suggest using Spotlight to search for 'Swarmcast', 'autobahn' etc to track down the uninstaller. Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
manrod

manrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by esenator View Post
Note that Lion hides the user Library directory by default. In the Finder, holding down the Option key will show the Library directory as an option in the Go menu. With the Library directory open, follow ShedUpperMan's uninstall instructions above.
QUOTE Thanks
fiery

fiery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 3ghz Intel Core i3 OSX 10.9

Wow this may have fixed my slowdown problem that I got after upgrading to Lion! Web pages were opening slow even though my internet speed was good. Thanks so far so good!
QUOTE Thanks
jt ray

jt ray is on a distinguished road

Mac OSX 10.7:
1. With Finder selected, click on the "Go" menu on the top of the screen.
2. Hold down the "Option" key on your keyboard. "Library" should now appear in the menu, select "Library".
3. In the Library folder that comes up, open the "Application Support" folder, and then the "NexDef" folder.
4. In the NexDef folder, double click on "UninstallNexDef.command"
5. A Terminal window will open and complete the uninstall process.

Just uninstalled this worthless POS
QUOTE Thanks
mjkopitzke

mjkopitzke is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for posting this! I just upgraded to OS X Mavericks and I kept getting this pop-up saying I needed a Java update to run MLBNexDefAutobahn. I had never heard of it before, but I did notice my MacBook running a little slower over the last year. I chalked it up to being older and I have a lot of stuff on here. I mean, in 4.5 years I've never had to do hardly any upkeep with this thing. Can't complain about that! Turns out my husband downloaded it back in 2009! All this time it's been running this garbage that I don't even use!

My computer is noticeably faster. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can not start-up Mac | OSX does not recognise my camera »