New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Ive killed my powerbook with ubuntu and kubuntu

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vb1

vb1 is on a distinguished road

Hello to everyone, im new here and this is my problem.
I have a power-book 6.5,[ibook g4] 1.25ghz, 80gb hd, ive finally made the move from Winbloze and seen the light with Mac OS X (god bless)anyways ive got this laptop G4, ive had i sitting around in my cupboard for months, i got it given to me, after cleaning my cupboard out and finding it i thought, lets crank it up and see what it can do. so i powered it up and it went to a screen with non-bootable jargon on it, scoured the Google and found a way to boot up normal, the OS was Leopard 10.5, i was amazed with my new toy, unbelievable OS, so i thought was else can i do with this, so i stumbled across Ubuntu,Kubuntuthen found out it was a bit more work than they looked, very pretty OSes, now ive got a WHITE PLASTIC SQUARE BRICK, ive tried to instal Ubuntu,Kubuntu several times, ubuntu goes all the way but when restarts it comes up with the dreaded white screen, Kubuntu is a LIVE CD, that one will load but gets stuck on the logo before the desktop so i have to OPT,CTRL,F5 then STARTX and that loads the desk top,then i try to install it and it comes up with *INSTALLER-CRASHED* so thats KAPUTSKI i think my MBR is fairley well stuffed, i havnt any original install disks or dvd's or anything that came with it, ive tried everything, RAM reset ,bypass ubuntu bootstrap all that key board short cut stuff, but the funny thing about it is after installing the other OSes it didnt chime when booted, but after mucking around with the partitions a million times, when i boot it up now it chimes and when i bypass the bootstrap it goes to the small box with the face and question mark, i only do that to know that there is hope, but my question is: can my baby be brought back to normal.HEEEEEEELP
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Wow, all of this in one sentence.

Suggestion: Buy the disks for your machine and re-install from the disks.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
vb1

Thanks for reply Mcbie, can you tell me exactly which discs i need, (yip mouth full of marbles that one)
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

For your Powerbook G4, you can install:

10.4 Tiger

10.5 Leopard.

Of cause Leopard is better, as it has many many more features. And it should run ok on your powerbook. Not 100% sure as I've enver owned a powerbook but that's what I've read.
QUOTE Thanks
vb1

Thanx for the reply the8thark, does it have to be, DVD or CD, ive read that dvd will do the trick (oops my bad) will that boot it up and will it fix the MBR problem? coz that Ubuntu is a tuff cookie.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb1 View Post
Thanx for the reply the8thark, does it have to be, DVD or CD, ive read that dvd will do the trick coz im downloading a dvd.iso of Leopard10.5,retail(well thats what it says) it's just ova 7.5gb, obviously dual layer, will that boot it up and will it fix the MBR problem? coz that Ubuntu is a tuff cookie.
That is stealing, and obviously against the law, as is discussing that on Mac Forums
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive First Aid failed, Volume needs repair. Uh-oh. :( | partition/PhotoRec stuff up »