Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   how to remove icons from the top-right menu bar (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/196956-how-remove-icons-top-right-menu-bar.html)

goldoro99 04-02-2010 02:55 AM

how to remove icons from the top-right menu bar

there's one item in particular -- the menu bar icon from digitunnel. i've uninstalled the program but the icon always pops back up whenever i restart. command+click/drag doesn't work. anyone know what to do?

Collin Bl 04-02-2010 04:21 AM

Welcome to the Forum. How about reinstalling digitunnel and then using AppCleaner to delete the App - that should clean out all the data.

Doug b 04-02-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collin Bl (Post 1028359)
Welcome to the Forum. How about reinstalling digitunnel and then using AppCleaner to delete the App - that should clean out all the data.

He may not necessarily have to reinstall it. He can try doing a Spotlight search for Digitunnel, and then select "show all" then delete any instance of the name or association. Also go into OS X system preferences>system accounts/users>log in items. Make sure that none of the log in items are associated with digitunnel.

I'd also go and do a basic cache etc cleaning with Onyx. Might as well fix permissions while you're at it, if you've never done so before. Can't hurt.

Doug

toMACsh 04-02-2010 09:47 AM

They are stored here

HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

Find it and Trash it.

sau124 04-02-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug b (Post 1028402)
He may not necessarily have to reinstall it. He can try doing a Spotlight search for Digitunnel, and then select "show all" then delete any instance of the name or association. Also go into OS X system preferences>system accounts/users>log in items. Make sure that none of the log in items are associated with digitunnel.

I'd also go and do a basic cache etc cleaning with Onyx. Might as well fix permissions while you're at it, if you've never done so before. Can't hurt.

Doug

+1 ... this will help...

goldoro99 04-02-2010 03:57 PM

it worked!

thanks doug, just did OS X system preferences>system accounts/users>log in items and removed digitunnel

Doug b 04-02-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldoro99 (Post 1028563)
thanks doug, just did OS X system preferences>system accounts/users>log in items and removed digitunnel

Glad it worked for you. But you should also make sure there are no instances of anything with the name digitunnel hiding in a folder. You should also follow toMACsh's advice as well. I guess you might not absolutely have to, but if you're anal like I am, and don't like having useless things clogging up your file directory system, it would help relieve your ails. ;)

Doug

P.S. I forgot to say that the method you used in preferences might just turn out to be temporary. I used to use an app called dropbox, but when I stopped using it, I also removed it from the start up list and upon every fresh reboot, it would continue to appear in the start up list for some reason. Clearing everything with the name Dropbox using Spotlight, and clearing the cache etc.. worked.