New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Typical Boot Time?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

I have been using the MBP for a while now and it seems that it has slowed down in terms of boot time. Shutdown is still fast as normal. I might be wrong here but I do have lot of stuff that is loaded including couple that load up on boot time.

Can anyone confirm how long does it take to boot completely? This is just for information. I know my MBP is due for a complete erase and reinstall anyways but just curious if I have started to imagine things...

Thanks...

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Boot time is dependent on how much is required from the system on boot, how many applications, utilities, log-in items, etc you have. An average time is hard to state.

Have you run OnyX Titanium Software to give the OS a good tune-up? I suggest you try that first. A "complete erase and reinstall" may not be necessary.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Also, what OS are you running? Snow Leopard is way faster compared to tiger, but it ultimately relies on startup-up items.

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Don't know about all of this, but in my view, measuring ( let alone comparing ) boot times doesn't make sense.

My MBP is ready for operation in less than 5 seconds because I never shut it down unless ' Apple software update ' asks me to.

Open the lid, do work, close the lid.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Don't know about all of this, but in my view, measuring ( let alone comparing ) boot times doesn't make sense.

My MBP is ready for operation in less than 5 seconds because I never shut it down unless ' Apple software update ' asks me to.

Open the lid, do work, close the lid.

Cheers ... McBie
ditto

I have never shut down a computer with any regularity. Unless you count shutting down my office machine on Friday afternoon and restarting it on Monday morning as regularly.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

It takes me a lot longer to get stuff out of my boot than it does to put it in there.... especially if I've been grocery shopping, and didn't secure the bags before I left the supermarket, and I have items scattered all over the place
Seriously though, apart from all that's been mentioned above, even something as simple as more than you had on your HD last time you used it is going to slow it down!
Perform basic maintenance every now and then, and when you need a bigger HD, get one.
If you want a faster boot time, application start, read/write, etc, get a larger and faster HD or SSD.
Otherwise, put your stop watch away, and enjoy your Mac
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Otherwise, put your stop watch away, and enjoy your Mac
touché! What's a few seconds difference anyways

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have OnyX and do a regular maintenance, but I work with video editing and have lot of crap constantly moving in and out of the hard drive. I don't follow most of the instruction from Apple and I know defrag is not the best option as Mac tends to put things in order. I understand that there will not be any standard boot times as there are different programs and different setups but getting an average time was just to get an estimate of what it should be around.

I am not a superuser but would at least call myself a power user so I am sure I am keeping up with the stuff on the Mac... but you know it is all about feeling good... I am not sure maybe it is time to upgrade the processor (buy a new MBP) but I think I should wait for the newer version.

Thanks again,

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

So I got my new MBP but just for the sake of it I went ahead and completely reinstalled Leopard. I notice that the boot screen where the animation is playing goes on for around 20 -30 seconds and then the login screen comes up and from there it is less than 5 seconds. I thought I will post this here so that people can have a baseline with nothing on the system (again this will depend on the processor/RAM) but at least something to compare against...

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disk utility problem | Cant Restore From Time Machine! »