New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Long Shutdown Time of MacBook Pro...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tomlija

Tomlija is on a distinguished road

Hi guys!

I am having issues with the shutdown time of my MBP. Namely, until couple of days ago, everything was fine and the shutdown process lasted for about 5 seconds tops. The other day, when I was about to go to bed and shut it down, the shutdown took unusually long time to execute. From that day on, every shutdown is the same. It lasts for about 40 seconds. This is kinda not that funny, because from time to time, like every couple of months the shutdown would be long like this, but the next shutdown would be very short. I consider this to be normal, as far as I read the various forum posts. What bothers me is that since couple of days ago, every shutdown lasts for about 45 seconds and it is not a problem, since the computer works fine, but is kinda irritating. I also have to mention that no major changes (installation or removal of programs) have been performed prior to this issue, and that my login items list is empty.
I have tried the following:

* Zapping the PRAM
* Executing various Onyx scripts, and used Onyx it to clean various caches.
* Reading, verifying and repairing permission using Disk Utility.

None worked for me.

I am pretty sure there are numerous threads about this or similar subject, but I have not found the one that describes this issue that I have.

If anyone of you, guys had the similar problem, any help, advice or tip would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
Tomlija

Any ideas, please, anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

It seems you've already done what most would suggest. The only item I can pick up on is that you ran scripts from Onyx; but did you use it to repair permissions? If not, try that to see if things improve. There are numerous posts about Onyx fixing issues that DU didn't.

Next suggestion is to run a hardware check by booting from the Install disk > Disk Utility > Verify Disk. There may be some dodgy sectors on the hard drive. If so, DU should find them, and you can repair if necessary.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Tomlija

I will try and inform you.
Thanks for your quick feedback!
Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you're leaving programs (and processes that run in the background) open as you shut down, the Mac will write the entire contents of RAM to a file for protection (or it could be having trouble shutting one of those processes down). This is usually the culprit for long shutdown times.

Get into the habit of closing all apps BEFORE shutting down. I'll bet the problem goes away on its own.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

What OS are you using? If you are not using 10.6, upgrading to that will speed up your shutdown times a lot. It did for me.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

It's been my observation and experience that letting the OS quit any open applications seldom causes delayed shutdown. Tomlija will soon enough let us know if in fact that is the cause of the delay.

In relation however to what Chas_M has suggested, I've found delayed shutdown does occur if something requiring heavy processor involvement has been happening. A recent example was a dvd containing hundreds of .mp4 files. The OS really struggled, having any applications open caused hang. I ejected the dvd, but the eMac wouldn't restart, I had to Force shutdown. After power button reboot, everything was tickety-boo. I attribute that problem to the Finder. I haven't (yet) tried to replicate the event.

Another factor I believe may cause delayed shutdown is heat. When this small room becomes warm (no air conditioning), and the eMac fan has been working overtime, shutdown can be delayed by as much as 3x the usual.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I need help with mail icons lost | iMovie 09 version 8.0.6 skipping »