New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help needed!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beat boom

My ibook started crashing last week, and eventually logged me out, and now it will not accept my password. I've got my OSX installation CD, but my computer has recently been updated with a newer version of OSX by a friend of mine, and I don't have the software for the newer version.

I've tried changing the password by inserting the CD whilst holding down the C-key, and then go to "change password" in the installer menu. The window that comes up gives me the option to change password on either the installation disc or the harddrive, but the harddrive icon is grayed out, so I can't select it. It won't let me change the password on the disc either.

Nor can I run the installation CD, as it tells me it will not overwrite a newer version of OSX.

So now I'm stuck with a computer I can't get into. Any one got any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

you will need the discs your friend used or you can go buy that version of the os, either way, I guess this is what you get for installing from a friends discs, which is illegal, and since you used his, you don't have your own copies, which isn't good in this situation.
the only way you can use your ibook again will be to use the software restore discs you do have and do an erase and install of the original os, but doing this will erase everything on your ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
beat boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
I guess this is what you get for installing from a friends discs, which is illegal, and since you used his, you don't have your own copies, which isn't good in this situation.
In that case I guess I've got myself to blame....I wasn't actually aware that it is illegal to use someone elses original disc, I just though it was illegal to copy the disc. But then I don't know a lot about these things.

Would it be this that's causing the problem with changing the password as well? If I got myself a disc with the most recent version of OSX, would I be able to change the password? And if so, would it have to be the same OSX version that this bloke installed for me or is an even more recent one OK?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

you would need the discs for the same version as your friend installed, unless you are reinstalling the os, then any version of os x newer than the one installed should do it.
QUOTE Thanks
beat boom

Thanks ever so much for your help Macman, I will go on an ebay quest straight away!

Just to confirm, sorry if I'm being a bit dim, if I buy software for the same version of OSX that my friend installed for me, I will be able to just change the password without having to delete anything, right? I.e, the reason for me not being able to change the password at the moment is because I've got the wrong version of OSX on disc?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

correct, if he installed os 10.3, and you buy the retail version of 10.3, you can change the password.
QUOTE Thanks
beat boom

Thanks again, you're a STAR!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Read this, and tell me what you think | I lost Grab! :( »