New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Locking a zip drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonesy16

jonesy16 is an unknown at this point

I'm not sure if this is the right area of the Forum to ask, but does anyone know how to lock a zip drive with a password? Using OS-X Leopard now.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I am not sure if you can lock the physical disk with a password. Haven't used those in ages. One thing that occurred to me though is to use Disk Utility to create a disk image, dump the files to it, then password protect the image.

Are you needing to share the files with a Windows box? That might change things a bit.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Assuming it's Iomega brand of Zip drive (don't think anyone else made them), yes you can lock a disk with Iomega software. It's too long ago (way back in OS 8 & 9 days) for me to recall much detail, but I seem to remember that the software that came with the drive had an encryption or password tool.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

The last IomegaWare that was released ws for OS X 10.2 and below. Iomega does not have software for OS X 10.3 and above and relies on the USB drivers built into OS X to support the Zip drives, hence they are seen as USB hard drives. There is no support for password protecting a Zip disk in OS X 10.3 or above.

Quote:
NOTE: There are some minor limitations of the built-in support as follows.

* No long format support. You can use the Mac OS X Disk Utility application to reformat your Zip disks, but the format type used will be a short format.

* No password protection features. Unlike older Iomegaware software that provided Zip disk password protection, the built-in Mac OS X drivers do not offer password protection. If you insert a Zip disk that is password protected, you must take the disk back to a machine with Mac OS X 10.2 or lower with IomegaWare installed and remove the password.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Used OnyX and now a problem with Mail... | Keyboard Input Source »