Locking a zip drive
    I'm not sure if this is the right area of the Forum to ask, but does anyone know how to lock a zip drive with a password? Using OS-X Leopard now.

North Louisiana, USA
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    I am not sure if you can lock the physical disk with a password. Haven't used those in ages. One thing that occurred to me though is to use Disk Utility to create a disk image, dump the files to it, then password protect the image.

Are you needing to share the files with a Windows box? That might change things a bit.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Assuming it's Iomega brand of Zip drive (don't think anyone else made them), yes you can lock a disk with Iomega software. It's too long ago (way back in OS 8 & 9 days) for me to recall much detail, but I seem to remember that the software that came with the drive had an encryption or password tool.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
    The last IomegaWare that was released ws for OS X 10.2 and below. Iomega does not have software for OS X 10.3 and above and relies on the USB drivers built into OS X to support the Zip drives, hence they are seen as USB hard drives. There is no support for password protecting a Zip disk in OS X 10.3 or above.

NOTE: There are some minor limitations of the built-in support as follows.

* No long format support. You can use the Mac OS X Disk Utility application to reformat your Zip disks, but the format type used will be a short format.

* No password protection features. Unlike older Iomegaware software that provided Zip disk password protection, the built-in Mac OS X drivers do not offer password protection. If you insert a Zip disk that is password protected, you must take the disk back to a machine with Mac OS X 10.2 or lower with IomegaWare installed and remove the password.

Thread Information