Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Caps Lock Key Won't Work / System Prefs (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/196776-caps-lock-key-wont-work-system-prefs.html)

Al X Zander 03-31-2010 06:58 PM

Caps Lock Key Won't Work / System Prefs

I have a MacBook Pro (2008) OS 10.5.8 and the Caps lock key does not light or work.
It has been suggested that I have a bad Pref file and to try and figure out which one it is.
Do I just throw out the whole folder and let it rebuild, or just how to tackle this?
Thanks
Al X

6string 03-31-2010 08:38 PM

Welccome to Mac Forums
Just to be sure that you haven't disabled it somehow.... go to system preferences>keyboard>modifier keys>caps lock, and make sure that "no action" isn't selected. Even if caps lock is selected, select no action and save, and then go back and select caps lock again.
Otherwise, have you spilled anything on your keyboard?
If not, do you have AppleCare?

bobtomay 03-31-2010 08:41 PM

Not sure what 'folder' you would be talking about, but don't do it.

Think 6sting is probly on the right track there.

Al X Zander 03-31-2010 09:50 PM

Caps Lock

No. No spills and I have disabled modifiers for Caps Lock.
If it is a preference file, I how do I safely delete and rebuild?

osxx 03-31-2010 10:06 PM

Try restore defaults under keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences.

6string 03-31-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al X Zander (Post 1027677)
I have disabled modifiers for Caps Lock.
If it is a preference file, I how do I safely delete and rebuild?

That doesn't really answer whether or not you tried what I suggested, so I'll just have to assume that you did (or maybe didn't).
Also doesn't answer the warranty question... hmmm, oh well :)

Al X Zander 04-01-2010 11:31 AM

Caps Lock

Yes, Sorry. I did try your suggestion to no avail and I do have Apple Care. Had keyboard replaced as well as top. No dice. Their opinion is a Preference file but did not offer how to throw them out and rebuild in a reasonable manner

bobtomay 04-01-2010 12:41 PM

Try logging in as another user, create a new user account if you need to... and let us know if it happens in that account also or only yours.

Al X Zander 04-01-2010 12:59 PM

Caps Lock Key

It worked on a different User. What does that tell me and how to correct on my log-on?
Thanks for that!

bobtomay 04-01-2010 01:25 PM

It means it is a software issue in your users settings and not the system settings and not a hardware issue.

Am at work currently, no Mac here, am not sure which plist file has the settings for the keyboard. If no one comes up with it during the day, I'll do some digging after work.

bobtomay 04-01-2010 01:33 PM

I don't think there is a separate preference file for the keyboard. Think you're going to have to delete the System Preferences pref file. This is going to mean resetting all your preferences there.

See if this works:

Open up Finder - Users / your user / Library / Preferences
move com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the desktop
log out and back in

If it works you can trash the file.
Then you'll have to set up the rest of your System Preferences again.
If it doesn't, you can move the file back to the same location replacing the new one you'll find there.

Al X Zander 04-01-2010 10:31 PM

Let me ask this.. I moved all the prefs except dock.plist and mail.plist to a desktop folder and rebooted and of course, it works now. So this tells me it's a pref file. But in the interim, the first thing that popped up was Software Update looking to update many items long since updated, no more screen saver and the inability to log into a banking account.
Is it just a matter of replacing a group of prefs 20 or so at a time, reboot, repeat, etc till I find the offending pref file?

bobtomay 04-02-2010 03:26 AM

I would put all of them back except the single file I have listed in the post above.

Al X Zander 04-02-2010 01:24 PM

Cpas Lock Key

OK, Thanks I'll try that file but let me ask this, what prefs will I have to reset when replacing this com.apple.systempreferences.plist file?

Al X Zander 04-04-2010 12:24 PM

Caps Lock Key

I removed the systempref file to no avail. i see that a new systempref file was not created on re-start. should it have?
Should I have trashed the old file or just move it to Desktop?
Guess it's time to start living with this issue.
Thanks