New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I'm not sure what I have..... ???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SVHarmony

SVHarmony is on a distinguished road

For those of you who are familiar with your Mac's I'm sure this seems like a dumb question, but as I explained yesterday this is all new to me.

How can I tell if I have Snow Leopard on my computer? Its a Mac OS x 10.6.2 I know, but how can I tell if I have Snow Leopard.... I don't see it written anywhere.

Thank you (remember what they say, there are no dumb question's)
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

10.4.x is Tiger, 10.5.x is Leopard, 10.6.x is Snow Leopard..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
SVHarmony

Thanks for your reply, but, I was thinking I could find it someplace on my Mac. Someplace like System Preferences. Shouldn't it say it someplace? When I look in Finder under Devices, I see the first thing in the list is Macintosh HD....

So, is it the OS X that means Snow Leopard, or is it the 10.6.3 (it must have updated) that means Snow Leopard? Or are those both irrelevant to the question?

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Why does it matter if you want your machine to say "Snow Leopard"? 10.6 *is* in fact Snow Leopard.

QUOTE Thanks
SVHarmony

I guess you are right. The person who purchased this Mac for me thought that when he ordered it that Snow Leopard was an option and he didn't purchase it (that he know of). But then again ... he knows even less about a Mac than I do (hard to believe huh?).

Thanks ... I'll just accept that I have a Snow Leopard. I appreciate your reply's.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Okay I think I understand now. You know that 10.6 is Snow Leopard, but do not know if you are running 10.6

You can easily determine this by clicking the Apple in the top left corner, then from the drop down menu click "About This Mac"

Right underneath OS X it will display the current version OS you are running. If you click "Version 10.x.x" it will display the build number, and if clicked again will display the serial number.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmony View Post
How can I tell if I have Snow Leopard on my computer?
Mac OS "Snow Leopard" is 10.6.x.

To find out what version of the OS your computer has...go to the "Apple" drop down menu in the upper left of the desktop...and select "About this Mac". It will tell you what version of the Mac OS is on your computer.

If it's 10.6.x...then it has Snow Leopard on it.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The "Machintosh HD" you see under Finder is the name of your hard drive given during installation, you can set that to anything you want. That has NO connection to the version of OS X running on there..

Snow Leopard isn't an option per say by a version of the operating system OS X. These versions started with 10.0.x and have gotten to 10.6.x, so that means that Snow Leopard is the 6th version of OS X, with Leopard being the 5th, Tiger being the 4th, Panther being the 3th and I don't know what the first 2 were..

The point release after 10.5 or 10.6 indicate the specific update-version for Leopard or Snow Leopard version of OS X..

If you're familiar with Windows, think of the point releases as Service Packs, so for example, Windows XP is a version of Windows, which came before Windows Vista and Windows 7..and SP 3 is the third update to Windows XP..

Hopefully this explains things rather than further muddle things..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
SVHarmony

Thank you guy's .... you're the best!!! I am so glad I joined Mac Forums dot com !!!!!

I love my Mac and I think I'd slit my wrists if I had to go back to a PC. I have a lot to learn but you are making make it much easier for me.

Again, Thank YOU,
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
I don't know what the first 2 were..
Cheetah, followed by Jaguar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
Okay I think I understand now. You know that 10.6 is Snow Leopard, but do not know if you are running 10.6
That's what I thought at first, but backing up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmony View Post
Its a Mac OS x 10.6.2 I know,
The words Snow Leopard just don't show up along with the version number.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
The words Snow Leopard just don't show up along with the version number.
That's part of the confusing thing for new Mac owners. Apple really should add the name description along with the number when people click on the "About this Mac" feature. Since Apple likes the number 10 it's also confusing to new users that 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, etc are completely different versions. For most software the second decimal digits usually mean an update fix and not a completely new version. Apple uses the numbers after the third decimal point to describe the traditional update versions. To make a long story short, new Mac users should just ignore the 10.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

And a little note.

The finder version does not always equal the OS version. For example right now my OS is 10.6.3 but my finder is 10.6.4
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issue with tranlucent menu bar | "slow keys" sound file location?? »