New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Permissions will not Repair

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maxy

Maxy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,

Hi,

I run 10.5 my duo core laptop macbook has been running slow for a while and is now seizing. I run permissions time and again but they will not repair and the SUID files cannot be repaired whatever that means.

Below is a copy & paste of the permissions window.

HELP - would be really appreciated.

cheers

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

That is okay and quite normal. Have a read of this and do not worry:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

From the look of that report you've posted, I'd suggest you give the Macbook some maintenance with the Install Disk > Disk Utility > Verify Disk > Repair Disk (if necessary).

You don't say so, but I assume you're using Disk Utility > Repair Permissions from the hard drive-OS itself. It would better done with OnyX Titanium Software.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To Maxy:

To clear those permission errors,

Run the free "ACLr8" utility. Download from here.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

Boybland is on a distinguished road

If your using disk utility to do the repair, you could try using the command in terminal instead.
sudo diskUtil repairpermissions /
It will require your password to give it sudo access but it seems to be more reliable than the Disk Utility method.
QUOTE Thanks
Maxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
From the look of that report you've posted, I'd suggest you give the Macbook some maintenance with the Install Disk > Disk Utility > Verify Disk > Repair Disk (if necessary).

You don't say so, but I assume you're using Disk Utility > Repair Permissions from the hard drive-OS itself. It would better done with OnyX Titanium Software.

Thanks for your replies I will be doing everything. My problem is that the laptop seized halfway thru an interview and I had to urgently make other arrangements.

re install disk >disk utility mentioned above. I dont know what that means for sure. i figure it means put the OSX disc into the machine but when i did that it went to install???

Cheers & thanks for all your input.

Maxy
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

You need to restart your Mac with the disc inserted, and hold down the C when you hear the chime. Select language, then go to utilities in the menu bar>disk utility, and repair disk from there.
Once done you can quit utilities and quit the installer and reboot.
QUOTE Thanks
Maxy

I tried the restart but the machine wouldnt do it.

I got a repairer around and he ran, i think, disk warrior, which found a problem with the hardrive.

in short, he is replacing the hard drive. my real concern was that i could never back it up, it always stopped 5.4 gb in. the repairer indicated that when it arrived at the problem on the hard drive the machine didnt know what to do and so froze.

i do a lot of travel and i wonder if leaving it in my wheely travel bag is the problem?? its always in sleep in the bag. but i wonder if that would damage the hardrive??

cheers & Thanks for the info
Maxy
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Ahh well Maxy you will get a variety of opinions on sleep vs. shutdown but for one always shut down when not in use and still a believer in the boot process being invaluable. Is possible I guess the drive got a knock whilst in sleep mode but drives do fail alas. Even more so 2.5" laptop drives.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
I got a repairer around and he ran, i think, disk warrior, which found a problem with the hardrive.
If it's not an impertinent question, what did it cost to have your machine serviced by the technician - the Disk Warrior part?

The reason I ask is because DW @ US$100 is expensive for many people, and I often suggest that a faulty machine be taken to a technician who has DW to use, which could be a cheaper alternative to buying DW.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post

The reason I ask is because DW @ US$100 is expensive for many people, and I often suggest that a faulty machine be taken to a technician who has DW to use, which could be a cheaper alternative to buying DW.
Yes i would be interested too ...... Will be interesting to find out, for future reference

TM

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Maxy

Bearing in my mind I have had apples for about ten years and during a warranty repair a couple of years ago I was recommended to a repair. He has been here 3 times over that ten year period.

In Aussie dollars new hard drive (out of a sealed packet) $350 total (aussie dollars so to speak). the repairer ran DW to diagnose the problem so the program must be ok. this guy is a one eighty straighty though, i had a friend in london and those sharks over there were going to rip her for a hundreds just to look at it and find the problem. she shipped it over here and i got my guy to look at it, and she fixed the power something (she spilled water on it) and put in a aftermarket screen for $300 (Aussie).

re trend micro smart surfing not too sure about that program. Certainly the chat backup gave the WRONG advice when i had my bug, they reckoned the router was poisoned. Well it wasnt. proof of that was that when i connected the same router the same way (ethenet & airport) to my laptop those greyed out dodgy addressess in dns disappeared. however it has now picked up those bugs after i was able to upgrade.

i started a new thread after this one and have just noticed all the posts. Thanks for the assistance.

Trick is i figure finding someone who is honest and reliable. hit and miss until you get her though.

Cheers
Maxy
QUOTE Thanks
Maxy

Hey,

Just onto my 3rd red and I had an idea why doesnt some enterprising US macforumer start up a "preferred Mac repairer" thread. I mean then the punters stateside will be in a better position. limits on criticism too. Give them a 1 to 5 score or something and the reason why. I mean they do a bit of that on swedespeed (yes I am a volvo driver) but without a dedicated thread. I mean even LL Bean rate themselves. At least you guys might have a bit of an idea who to call when it all goes bad (the apple plan doesnt go long enough - Steve you reading this).

kind of like a cnet for repairers.

cheers
Maxy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Malware / Trojan or something on Mac | Final Cut Express freezing »