New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Why do I have to Safe Boot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

So I did 2 fresh installs and 3 backups from Time Machine. I am constantly getting the prohibitory icon after shutting down. I am so afraid to shut down bc of this. I am so frustrated with this issue, it's unbelievable. I going to take it to the Apple Store as soon as I get enough gas in my car because California knows how to break you when you always have to pay tolls. 45 miles is the closest A.S.
Does anyone know what can be going wrong? It would be worth it to find a solution to this before I drive those dreadful miles.

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
I did 2 fresh installs and 3 backups from Time Machine
3 Back ups or 3 restores?

Quote:
getting the prohibitory icon after shutting down
How about a pic of the icon
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

oops...yeah 3 restores

this is the icon that shows up everytime I try to boot up...it's constant like a migraine

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

You say that you did 2 fresh installs, and 3 backups from time machine, but don't suggest that you tested it before restoring from time machine!
I think you need to do a clean install..... zeroing out your hard drive, and then test it before you do any restoring.
Before you do that, you could set up a new admin user account, log out of the old and boot into the new to test things out!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have seen some reports of this perhaps being caused by a bad or missing driver. Try disconnecting any external devices. If the Mac boots try downloading and installing the most recent combo updater for your OS.

If you find that you still need to safe boot do you have another machine that you could use to download the combo updater? The reports I have seen suggest that reinstall of 10.6 fixed the problem but i would try the combo updater first.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

+1 for my friend's suggestion above
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

just finished a fresh install...will let you guys know when I wake p in the afternoon..real tired...

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

After you've got this sorted out and for others reading this:

This right here is one fine example of where a SuperDuper! back up pays for itself in spades.

You've installed some app that is now causing a kernel panic on boot or refusing to allow the machine to boot - boot to the backup, browse to the log on the internal drive and quite often you can find the offending application and remove what is causing the issue or just restore the machine from the external drive. I've done a restore of just over 100GB in under an hour.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Please bobtomay..... can we get a sticky thread on the importance of backups, especially clones, and as to the many instances that it would have been a lifesaver, or at least a reason as to not head to the medicine cabinet for pain relief?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

6string,

+1 for such a sticky.
As long as the sticky does not only talk about ' tools ', it should talk about having a backup strategy and what the criteria are for setting up a backup strategy.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Please bobtomay..... can we get a sticky thread on the importance of backups, especially clones, and as to the many instances that it would have been a lifesaver, or at least a reason as to not head to the medicine cabinet for pain relief?
it would be very stupid to inform me of backups...i have backups of before & after installs...I could go back to a backup when I first got my external hd...this problem just started the other day and no matter what I do it does it...last night i did a zero out and a fresh install again. only thing I restored was my bookmarks, my music, pictures and documents.

so far no problem but I'm not putting my hopes up

QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
After you've got this sorted out and for others reading this:

This right here is one fine example of where a SuperDuper! back up pays for itself in spades.

You've installed some app that is now causing a kernel panic on boot or refusing to allow the machine to boot - boot to the backup, browse to the log on the internal drive and quite often you can find the offending application and remove what is causing the issue or just restore the machine from the external drive. I've done a restore of just over 100GB in under an hour.
hey bob how can I browse to the log...

QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

or better yet...i found this in console

3/29/10 2:45:28 AM com.apple.service_helper[89] launchctl: Error unloading: com.apple.backupd-auto
3/29/10 2:45:28 AM com.apple.service_helper[89] launchctl: Error unloading: com.apple.backupd-wake
3/29/10 2:45:28 AM com.apple.service_helper[89] launchctl: Error unloading: com.apple.backupd-attach

would this have anything to do with it

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ezi(moto) View Post
it would be very stupid to inform me of backups...i have backups of before & after installs...I could go back to a backup when I first got my external hd...this problem just started the other day and no matter what I do it does it...last night i did a zero out and a fresh install again. only thing I restored was my bookmarks, my music, pictures and documents.

so far no problem but I'm not putting my hopes up
I was highlighting the importance......... and your situation would not be what it is now if you didn't have a backup!
Having a CCC or SuperDuper Clone would have had you rectifying the situation almost immediately!
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

i don't believe it's the backups though 6...well since the 10.6.3 update I haven't had one issue...

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I remote desktop my windows laptop through wireless | Volume Display »