New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do I install an update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jacatone

jacatone is on a distinguished road

I'm new to Macs so bear with me. I recently downloaded a dmg osx 10.4 to 10.4.11 update. Where do I drag and drop this file into Finder? Or does it automatically install itself? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

You don't drop it anywhere. Open the file by double clicking it. It'll mount a disk icon on your desktop. Open that and then run the Installer package. It'll walk you through the process and finish by restarting your Macintosh.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

As dar as I know you just double click the .dmg file and it should open up. And from there you can double click on the install 10.4.11 update icon.

And something else that is nice to know.
In the finder (or main screen) there is a little Apple in the top left of the menu bat at the top of the screen. That is called the Apple menu and in the apple menu there is an option called "software update". Click on it (when you are hooked up to the internet) and it will tell you if there are any updates for any Apple applications (system updates included) what will work on your machine. And with one click they will download and install themselves on your mac.

And it will say which updates require a system reboot for them to be installed. And for all my Apple updates I never download the .dng from Apple's site anymore. I just use the software update menu. And it works really well.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Ignore my post ... not needed anymore.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard OSX install..mac mini disks on ibook? | New way to view folder in dock content. »