New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Scratch disk?

Thread Closed

SteveF

I'm running a G5 with OS X 10.3.9.

How do I empty my scratch disk? I'm running Photoshop and QuarkXpress so I have some pretty big files that I've been working with. A notice popped up that said my scratch disk is full and now I'm not sure what to do after searching for a few minutes.

Thanks,
Steve
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF
I'm running a G5 with OS X 10.3.9.

How do I empty my scratch disk? I'm running Photoshop and QuarkXpress so I have some pretty big files that I've been working with. A notice popped up that said my scratch disk is full and now I'm not sure what to do after searching for a few minutes.

Thanks,
Steve
http://www.karmakars.com/weblog/arch...iskscratchdisk

Go to the edit menu. At the bottom is a command called 'purge', in the sub menu click on 'all'. It tells you that this cannot be undone, but that's OK unless you really need the clipboard, histories or undo. Also, you can change the scratch disk in the preferences bit under the 'Memory and Scratch Disks' bit (I think it's called in 5.5). The scratch disk is cleared when you quit PS.
anemptyhouse

anemptyhouse is on a distinguished road

i have a macbook pro and my photohshop (unfortunately) has crashed a few times. i understand that when it does so it tends to leave big temp files in the scratch disk. does anyone know the exact location of the scratch disks so i can clear them manually instead? or is defragmentation the only way.
MacUser5

MacUser5 is on a distinguished road

Even emptying the scratch disk can still not clear enough memory for your large files. I've run into this problem also. I work with 700 MB layered files. I was told the only #1 way is to shut down your computer. That wipes every thing clean (well memory usage wise). Only open Photoshop & things should go fine. However this isn't always possible. Starting up or shutting down apps also does not help since a "building block" effect happens with the memory. At least with the older hard drives. Chaning scratch disk or Cache preferences can bite you in the butt later or interfere with other apps/ or you have to constantly change them back and forth.

Here's what I did: I bought a 1 TB external hard drive.

Go to Photoshop > Preferences > Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks. Under scratch disk there is an area marked first, second, third & fourth. First has a drop-down to "starup". Under second, place an externial hard drive. It will use that when your computer runs out of memory. I have not run into a problem since. Photoshop is like a huge hungry relative that doesn't know how to stop. Hope that helps...

Thread Closed

« Cloning os? | External HD Folder Permissions »