New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Partition Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeschmo

joeschmo is on a distinguished road

Alright guys, I need a hand. A while back, using bootcamp, I decided to re partition my hard drive and install myself ubuntu. However, I messed up a little bit, and now i've made a mess of things. When I open disk utility, my harddrive now as three partitions: Macintosh HD - formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - 181.9 gb. disk0s3 - formatted MS-DOS(FAT) - 48.7 gb. Linux Swap - formatted Mac OS extended (Journaled) - 2.1 gb. The second disk has nothing on it, and the linux swap is about half full. I also employed a boot selector on startup to choose between mac and linux, but I do not remember what its called.

What I would like to do, is reformat my hard drive and reinstall mac OS so that the linux partitions are gone, and my hard drive is once again completely devoted to mac OS. I have the startup disk for mac OS, however, I am not sure how to go about doing this to repair my errors. I tried simply deleting the additional partitions in disk utility, but it did not work. Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
kciss

kciss is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs:  MacBook Pro Uni, 2.4GHz 4GB, 128 Samsung SSD

Hi there!

Im pretty sure the boot selector you used was called reFIT. The way i would tackle your issue would be to back up your mac, using time machine or carbon copy cloner, assuming you want to keep the data.

After that, boot from your install disk 1, that came with your mac or a upgrade disk you might have. Don't to a install, but in the menu bar, choose >utilies>disk utility.

From there, click on your harddrive, then >partition > volume scheme, from the drop down menu, choose 1 partition. Click apply. then reinstall osx!

Hope that helps
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i need help with snow leopard , boot camp and protools? | can't transfer large file »