New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

reinstalling a backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dogtide

dogtide is on a distinguished road

I think I have finally accepted that an aborted windows installation via bootcamp has fried my mac partition. Goodbye 6 weeks of work since my last back up. (Yes, i hear you all and I promise I will back up daily from now on)

My question is thus, because my computer seems to be completely empty now and void of anything and only boots up off the system disk, is it considered a restore or a migration. I do not want to do anything wrong at this point and lose everything that I have backed up by accident as well.

Do I need to reinstall Mac operating system first or can I just do a restore straight away ? My fear comes from the fact that I am not sure that the computer will know that the backup originally came from itself.

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Hey , we will need a little more info to advise you . What type of back-up is it ? Time Machine or a bootable clone from a app like Carbon Copy or Superduper ?

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
dogtide

thanx clay.

it is a backup that i made from time machine that lives on an external drive.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light

Then heres a link that spells it out for you. I could type it but its all right here .
Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Recovering your entire system

Hope it helps

Clay

QUOTE Thanks
dogtide

thanks for that.

will it also be OK if i am using snow leapard discs to reinstall it even though my backups were not on that exact OS?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

Yes it should be fine if your back-up TM is 10.5 + And let me add that AS SOON AS YOU FINISH AND MAKE SURE ALL IS GOOD.....BACK-UP AGAIN!!!!

Clay

QUOTE Thanks
dogtide

Thanks Clay.

Maybe i am stupid or maybe its just because its midnight and i've spent the whole day trying to find a way to recover my data but i do need clarification on one point please.

Do i need to install snow leopard FIRST and then migrate my back up across, or do i just try to reinstall my back up when i have booted the mac up using the snow leopard disc even though the backups aren't on snow leopard?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't install on OSX, install button disables then re-enables? | Input devices unrecognized on boot »