New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macbook Installation Discs Dilemma


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
rhanvy

 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2010
Posts: 12
rhanvy is an unknown at this point

rhanvy is offline
I have the mid-2007 MacBook Core 2 Duo and I still have Tiger...

I wanted to reformat my hard drive with Tiger but only disc 1 installed all the way... disc 2 failed because of misc scratches.

I just ordered the Mac Box Set on Amazon.com
Will the installation work if I just pop in the disks from the Mac Box Set? Anyone else have this dilemma?

Please help! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 41,406
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
If it was the boxed set for Tiger (Black DVD set), you should have no problem installing it. Note: You should make a backup first if you wish to preserve data, documents, photos, music, etc.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
rhanvy

 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2010
Posts: 12
rhanvy is an unknown at this point

rhanvy is offline
Someone help please! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
rhanvy

 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2010
Posts: 12
rhanvy is an unknown at this point

rhanvy is offline
I bought the Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard... will it still work?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If it was the boxed set for Tiger (Black DVD set), you should have no problem installing it. Note: You should make a backup first if you wish to preserve data, documents, photos, music, etc.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

 
Member Since: Jan 18, 2010
Posts: 1,469
EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

EndlessMac is offline
Before you go any further did Tiger install correctly? Unless I'm mistaken the 2nd disc that came with your computer only has the applications that came pre-installed on your computer when it was new. Is there a specific application you need? I don't think you need the second disc if you just wanted a clean install of Tiger.

The Snow Leopard box set only has iLife, iWork, and of course Snow Leopard. Is that what you wanted? I don't know if it requires you to upgrade to Snow Leopard in order to install them but if you already opened the box you can try installing them and see if it works if you want iLife and iWork. Most stores won't let you return opened software.

If your second disc is only scratched then you can try those DVD scratch fixing devices and see if that works for you. It would have been cheaper than buying the Snow Leopard box set.
QUOTE Thanks
rhanvy

 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2010
Posts: 12
rhanvy is an unknown at this point

rhanvy is offline
I wanted to do a clean install and of course backed everything up. I torrented Tiger OS X recently and tried installing it that way and even held down "C" but it still asked for "Disc 2" I haven't yet received Snow Leopard Box Set. HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

 
clayneal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 27, 2009
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 2,146
clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

clayneal is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanvy View Post
I wanted to do a clean install and of course backed everything up. I torrented Tiger OS X recently and tried installing it that way and even held down "C" but it still asked for "Disc 2" I haven't yet received Snow Leopard Box Set. HELP!

Sorry but since you have admitted to being a pirate I would bet all the help you may have received is gone.

Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : Suggestions/Comments/Site Support


Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
rhanvy

 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2010
Posts: 12
rhanvy is an unknown at this point

rhanvy is offline
THe Mac Box Set DID NOT work. HELP! Please see my other thread "Mac Box Set with Snow Leopard"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Before you go any further did Tiger install correctly? Unless I'm mistaken the 2nd disc that came with your computer only has the applications that came pre-installed on your computer when it was new. Is there a specific application you need? I don't think you need the second disc if you just wanted a clean install of Tiger.

The Snow Leopard box set only has iLife, iWork, and of course Snow Leopard. Is that what you wanted? I don't know if it requires you to upgrade to Snow Leopard in order to install them but if you already opened the box you can try installing them and see if it works if you want iLife and iWork. Most stores won't let you return opened software.

If your second disc is only scratched then you can try those DVD scratch fixing devices and see if that works for you. It would have been cheaper than buying the Snow Leopard box set.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Mac Pro Monitor Issues | Can Leopard Server do load balancing? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DVD R or DVD RW? (Difference?) Joeytpg Switcher Hangout 17 03-24-2010 11:09 AM
Can I Reuse the Leopard Installation Discs? roisin20 OS X - Operating System 4 12-02-2009 11:04 AM
Will new macbook installation disk work on old macbook? NakedAngel Switcher Hangout 1 06-26-2009 04:05 PM
Leopard Macbook Pro Discs. Axxie OS X - Operating System 1 04-19-2008 09:01 AM
Macbook Pro Dilemma, Help Please RhineOnline Apple Notebooks 5 09-12-2007 04:34 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?