Enabling/loading hardware on a mac piece by piece
    I was wondering if there is any way to load/enable hardware piece by piece? a friend of mine's macbook suffered a 5 foot fall, and now has a really warped/messed up display when it boots in normal mode. Booting into safe mode stops the problem, and everything works again. She took it to the apple store, and they recommended a new computer or some expensive repair, but apparently never even tried to boot it into safe mode. She isnt willing to spend that kind of money, and i figured if there was any way to load up the hardware piece by piece, the problem could be isolated and she could restore some functionality like the isight camera or dvd drive. Anyone got any idea how to do this? is it possible to modify what the boot loads?

Thanks in advance

Down Under :D
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Welcome to Mac Forums
    So you fully understand what safe boot does, take a look at this: Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?
    So, last question first..... No
    As for isolating the problem, you would need all the parts, but it really sounds like the graphics chip which is integrated into the logic board is damaged, and maybe more than that which you would really only find out after the logic board was replaced.
    Sounds like the Apple store was right, and that you would be better off getting a new computer, and selling the working internal parts and non damaged external parts on ebay to recoupe some of the losses.

Thread Information