New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

does screen sharing survive a user change?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

I have a remote Mac Mini that I access with screen sharing. But, when I change accounts on that machine it locks up the screen sharing.

I know the admin account is properly set up for screen sharing because it was that way from the start. Then I created a new account on the machine and it took a few tries and reboots to get screen sharing on that account. But now it seems I can't switch users without locking up screen sharing and then I need to reboot.

www.dynostep.com
engine simulation software
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I just tested this because I didn't remember the answer. Here is what I have concluded. You should be able to switch to the second account in most cases and have screen sharing survive the switch. I f the second account is set to a different resolution in the Displays preference pane.

Is it truly locking up or are you merely getting a completely black screen in the screen sharing window? If that is what you are getting try toggling between adaptive and full quality.

If it is truly locking up are you trying to screen share My Intel Mac Pro with a PPC system running Leopard. When I first tried screen sharing with the G5 under Leopard it would consistently lock up the G5. Unfortunately the G5 died before I figured out a solution.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Already had the setup working on the media machine which is currently headless. Took all of 30 seconds to test. O do go overboard sometimes though.

BTW am I doing something wrong re Friend requests. I have tried to add you twice tonight and still have the notification up there.

QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I just tested this because I didn't remember the answer. Here is what I have concluded. You should be able to switch to the second account in most cases and have screen sharing survive the switch. I f the second account is set to a different resolution in the Displays preference pane.
I don't understand the last sentence.

Quote:
Is it truly locking up or are you merely getting a completely black screen in the screen sharing window? If that is what you are getting try toggling between adaptive and full quality.
I got a black screen once and I've also just gotten a locked-up shared desktop.
Quote:
If it is truly locking up are you trying to screen share My Intel Mac Pro with a PPC system running Leopard. When I first tried screen sharing with the G5 under Leopard it would consistently lock up the G5. Unfortunately the G5 died before I figured out a solution.
No, both machines are Intel OSX 10.6.2

www.dynostep.com
engine simulation software
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbohn View Post
I don't understand the last sentence.
There's a reason you didn't understand that sentence: It didn't make sense. lol Part of the sentence was missing. That is what I get for posting so late.

What i meant was if the two accounts are set to different screen resolutions the size of the screen sharing window may not be exactly the same in both accounts. It's usually easy to drag the window to the size that you need.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook is overheating and turning itself off. | reinstalling from time machine »