New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Reinstalling Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nuttiespice

nuttiespice is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB/320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm/Mac OS Leopard 10.6.2

Hi. So I had used this stupid application called themepark and when I couldn't reset it back to my original aqua I just uninstalled the whole thing. Guess what?? It din't work!! So now I am stuck with stupid radio buttons and weird scroll bars. I tried going through the tutorial for the application but it wasn't very helpful. Do you think reinstalling my OS would help? I have the snow leopard installation cd with me. And what will happen when I install my OS? I have backed up all my data with time machine, so that is not an issue. Will I lose anything important or will it be just my current settings that will get resetted?

Please help me out with this!!!

change is what makes the world go around
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

Mac Specs: Macbook 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB/320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm/Mac OS Leopard 10.6.2

Help anyone???

QUOTE Thanks
Dreamcast270mhz

Dreamcast270mhz is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!

When you reinstall, you want to boot w/ option+C and follow a CLEAN install. If all your data is backed up, you will have to redo all your current settings, but you can copy all of your files back to the new installation and you won't have to worry again.

Intel SUCKS!!! PPC Dominates
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5Ghz 1.25GB 10.5 AND Ubuntu 9.1
Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz 768MB 10.5
Ibook G4 12" 1.33Ghz 768MB 10.4.11
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

Well how do I do that? For that matter, how do I uninstall my OS in the first place??

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Why would reinstalling the OS be part of the equation in the first place? Have you looked at any of the support information for your application? It's rare that a UNIX-based OS needs to be reinstalled. At worst, you might have to create a new user account and reinstall the app. Most apps do not modify the OS.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

Well this theme park app has changed the way my mac looks. My buttons are not permanently graphite and the problem is I am not able to change them back. When I searched in forums for this problem I saw that many others had this problem too. Fortunately for them they had taken back ups of their data, but I don't

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Create a new user account and log in with it. See if the theme elements persist.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

Yeah they do. Even in the other account the buttons look the same.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Interesting. Then it definitely does permanently modify the OS.

In that case, you're going to want to pop in your Snow Leopard disc, it should allow you to run the install on top of the existing OS. If you can't see the options because of the theme changes, you may need to boot from the disc and do a clean install. Of course, this will essentially remove all of your data/documents/settings, so if you can, make sure you run a backup before you start.

QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

Yeah I have already made a complete backup of all my files. Can you tell me how I should do the 'boot from the disc' and a clean install?

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Pop in the disc, restart holding down the the C when you hear the chime.
Select language, then go to menu bar>utilities>disk utilities, and select erase macintosh HD formatted as mac os extended journaled.
Once erased, quit utilities and proceed with installation.
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

I noticed something just now. My Snow Leopard DVD is an upgrade DVD. Does that mean that I will not be able to install my OS with that? Should I first install Leopard and then upgrade with this DVD?

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Out of curiosity, is it grey, or is it the disc with a picture of the snow leopard?
Actually, looking at your specs, I'm confused as to what your Mac is, so please post back with that info!
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

my installation dvd tat came wit my mac is da grey one.. When snow leopard came i got an upgrade dvd from apple.. Its got da pic of a leopard on it n it says upgrade dvd

QUOTE Thanks
6string

ok... well that should be fine then, as it is still a retail version, even though it's supplied for an upgrade.
Please put the machine, Macbook or Macbook Pro, etc. in your specs under your details.
Your specs layout is quite confusing, as is your vocabulary in your response!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HowTo Change Text Address of My Mac | Help please. cpu isn't reconizing free space after deleting files »