New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Running sudo command as _www user

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jamessw

jamessw is on a distinguished road

I have a web site on a Mac server that uses php's "exec" function to run a bash script on the server. It's password protected, and can only run certain code, so I'm not worried about security.

My problem is that I want to add a feature that requires the sudo command. However, the script is run by the user _www, which apparently can't do the sudo command.

What are my options for making this work?
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Try following the instructions here to add the user to the sudoers file. Now, you're going to need root access to this machine to edit the sudoers file. Do you have access?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
jamessw

I added _www to sudoers, and it still doesn't work. Also, I just realized I've been using the admin password, and have no idea what the _www password would be. It should still be the default.

Any idea what this would be?
QUOTE Thanks
jamessw

Ok, it's trickier than I thought.

The script must be run as root. Is there any way I can run a script as root from _www?

Another option is to disect the script, and add the actual commands directly into my script. They seem to just be a set of 3 launchctl commands. How can I run launchctl commands as _www?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBA-specific issue: restoring from time machine | Automator issue with "permissions" »