New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Need help restoring data files from DVD (Backup Application)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

luvsoccer

luvsoccer is on a distinguished road

I have been struggling for hours trying to restore some Final Cut Pro video files from multi-DVD backup sets created using Mac Backup Version 3. Files were created several years ago to make room for hard drive space. I wiped the backup settings file from the hard drive afterwards, one should be able to use the "Restore From Backup" command within the Backup app. Well, now when I load the DVDs and try to restore the contents to hard drive - the finder window will show the DVD as a Device, but when clicking on the DVD icon - Finder says "0 files." Get Info on the DVD says all 4.3GB used and Disk Utility says there are 7 files on the DVD. I can even use Terminal to copy the contents of the DVD to my hard drive. However, once finished, I have the same challenge - the folder created on the hard drive with the contents copied using Terminal still shows "0 files."

I am growing weary trying to figure out how to gain access to these files to restore them. I need the Backup utility to "see" the files but so far, no such luck. The only clue I have of what might be an issue is that the file names are VERY LONG (I noticed this when using Terminal). One example filename:

/Volume/Backup Girls FCP Soccer Files for 2002 (+Em 2001) Disc 1/Volumes/d2Boy/Archived Movies/Emily 2002/CF93_YEVideo_0203.bck

I believe Mac OS can handle filenames as long as 255 characters - the above is around 100 characters.

I'd appreciate any advice - at wits end. Also, would Disk Warrior possibly help recover data files from DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
luvsoccer

luvsoccer is on a distinguished road

Problem solved - it was operator error. I thought I had checked this once already, but the DVDs were created with Backup Version 2 - as soon as I checked that option, then I was able to successfully restore them.

Bad operator, bad operator.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« getting ready to install leopard...what next | New OS X required for MacBook Pro »