New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Virtual Machine Bog Down

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CaptainCalvin

CaptainCalvin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2Ghz 4gb Ram 320Gb HDD

When i have my Windows 7 VM running(1 virtual process, 2 gb mem off a External Drive) My MBP slows down considerably and if you look at the activity monitor theres nothing else on but all my memory is tired up.

Any ideas on what could be causing this??

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Can't see a larger picture.

How much memory do you have? Looks like you've got 4GB (if my eyes aren't wrong). Bog down how? Virtual machines do tend to bog down the system somewhat.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainCalvin

Yes i do have 4gb. When i mean bog down, any other multitasking i want to do just seems to be sooo slow. Listening to iTunes, using Safari and maybe having a text editor up as well.
I thought having the VM's memory set to 2gb would only use up 2gb of my MBP's memory but it seems to take up more.
You can see with just the Virtual Machine open, nothing else besides Activity Monitor up, i only have 52MB of Ram left.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCalvin View Post
You can see with just the Virtual Machine open, nothing else besides Activity Monitor up, i only have 52MB of Ram left.
No I can't, see above.

If I boot a VM using 1.5GB of memory (with 4GB in my MB), I notice a slow down. Nothing huge but there is definitely some lag. You have to remember that you're trying to run two operating systems at once. What are you doing in the Windows VM at the same time?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainCalvin

Heres a larger pictures.

Right now im just using it to download Youtube videos and silly stuff like that. But when spring break is over i will be using it for C#, C++ programming, Microsoft Visio and some other Microsoft specific programs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spykee0870028387 | how stop mac pro from asking for my keychain passwords »