New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problems w/ Safari

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kmurray1231

kmurray1231 is on a distinguished road

For the last week, I have had this problem with Safari.

After having Safari open for a while and I try to open a new tab by clicking on the "+" or by taking the long route (File, New Tab), nothing happens.

If I want to open a new tab, I have to quit Safari all together (thus closing out of the web pages that I had open) and re-start.

If I give up and just use the tabs that I have open, eventually, Safari freezes up and I can't refresh pages or enter new web addresses.

I have quit Safari and re-booted my computer countless times. I have reset Safari and cleared the cache countless times, as well.

I am at a loss. Any ideas of what is wrong?

Thank you for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to Mac Forums.
If Safari is the only thing you are having problems, I would start by quitting Safari, going to user/library/preferences and deleting com.apple.safari.plist and restarting, and if that doesn't fix it, going to Apple's download page, and redownloading the latest version of Safari, and see if that fixes it.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

It might interest you to know that you can open a new tab with cmd+T.
QUOTE Thanks
kmurray1231

6string--thank you for the suggestions. I tried each of them and neither one worked.

mymacrox--that doesn't work either when Safari acts up. the only way i can get a new tab is to quit it completely and start over all over again.

i guess i am destined to have this problem permanently. Totally sucks because it really holds my work up sometimes.

Thanks for your help, though.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurray1231 View Post
i guess i am destined to have this problem permanently.
No! Almost any software problem has a solution. Maybe you just need a new com.apple.safari.plist file.

You should find it in Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
Move that file to your Desktop, then start Safari. This will make an new plist file with default settings.
If you like how it behaves better, toss that file on your Desktop in the Trash.
In the unlikely event that it's worse, put the file back in Preferences, overwriting the new one.

The next thing to try would be logging in under a different user account...
QUOTE Thanks
kmurray1231

toMACsh--thank you for taking the time for your suggestions. I tried both of them and neither one worked. When I did your first suggestion, Safari started behaving the same way. Also, when I logged into my husband's user account, and began using Safari, I encountered the same problem.

I guess I will just switch to Firefox because it is not realistic for me to keep having to deal with this much longer.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help. It is appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Safari definately has bugs at the moment, which I hope will be resolved with the next Safari update, or the 10.6.3 update.
I use Firefox and have no issues with it, and if you want to import you bookmarks etc, just go to the firefox menu bar, file>import>safari>continue>select what you would like to import.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If I missed the answer to this question earlier I apologize. have you added any add ons/plugins to Safari?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
kmurray1231

No, no plug-ins or add-ons.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have to point out that this is NOT a bug in Safari. If it was, everyone (or many people) would have it. Most of us on this forum use Safari and obviously we're not having the issue -- indeed this is the only report of it.

I don't know what the issue actually is, but it's not a bug in Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
macsupportpro

macsupportpro is on a distinguished road

does safari work in another user account? Create a new user and open up Safari and see if it will let you create new tabs. This will tell us if its an issue with your user account or with Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

The bugs in safari I am refering to is based on Safari Jumping and even though I've not heard of this one, I only just noticed the other one yesterday.
I have no doubt that there are many more which I am unaware of, esp after hours of googling trying to find how to uninstall any version after the Safari 4Beta version by various people having all sorts of problems with it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsupportpro View Post
does safari work in another user account? Create a new user and open up Safari and see if it will let you create new tabs. This will tell us if its an issue with your user account or with Safari.
See post #6 above.

The problem is with Safari.

kmurray, if you've identified your OS version and version of Safari, I missed it. Perhaps you need an upgrade of Safari. If you're at the latest version, I'd still suggest downloading Safari again and reinstalling it to see if that will fix the tabs problem.
QUOTE Thanks
macsupportpro

macsupportpro is on a distinguished road

OK, Sorry I missed that. Here are the next trouble shooting steps.
1.Go to the apple menu and make sure you are completely up to date with software updates. (if you havent already).
2.Launch disk utility, on the left select your Macintosh HD, click on repair permissions.
disk utility is in your /Applications/Utilities folder.
log out then log back in and check Safari.
3.if the issue persist try reinstalling safari.
4.archive and install the OS. here is a link to help with that.
if you are running snow leopard the archive and install is done by default. Meaning you just have to put in the installation disk and run the installer. I always suggest doing a backup first, just in case.

hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
phonodoc

phonodoc is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have the same problem with safari and have done all the same things. Still have problem, so went to firefox and no more problem. I have had several Mac experts give up.

Bob
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac isn't "saving" when i restart. | Help, please..Snow Leopard installation problems »