Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ready For Tiger

  1. #1

    rs2sensen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416
    Specs:
    1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
    Ready For Tiger
    Ok, I've decided I'm ready to upgrade from Panther to Tiger. Can anyone give me a suggestion of where to get the best price?

  2. #2
    mMmApples
    Guest
    i paid for it at the Mac store... and truthfully i am not very impressed with it. I would reccomend sticking with panther... safari had never locked up before and it is beginning to for me. Also the spotlight, the supposed highlight of this OS is dwarfed by quicksilver... all this is my opinion.. ask around

  3. #3

    Murlyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2003
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    4,915
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    I recommend going to Amazon.com and buying it there. If you buy the single you'll get a $30 rebate and if you buy the family pack, you'll get a $50 rebate. Only until the end of the month though, so I recommend you purchase it soon! I just bought mine yesterday, but I will not load it until 10.4.2 is released I am thinking...

  4. #4

    rs2sensen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416
    Specs:
    1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
    Quote Originally Posted by mMmApples
    i paid for it at the Mac store... and truthfully i am not very impressed with it. I would reccomend sticking with panther... safari had never locked up before and it is beginning to for me. Also the spotlight, the supposed highlight of this OS is dwarfed by quicksilver... all this is my opinion.. ask around
    I've played aroudn with it some, and I agree that it's not something I'm hugely impressed with, but I have some extra cash laying around...

    I wish I could say the same for Safari on my PB! It crashes on a regular basis...

  5. #5
    Tel
    Guest
    I'd recomend getting it, theres been a few people talking about Safari locking up and Spotlight not being up to par but I can honestly say that they both work fine for me. Safari has not locked up on my once since I got Tiger a couple of weeks ago and Spotlight is an absolute godsend that I use for everything, I rarely use the Finder at all to find stuff anymore.

  6. #6
    jack_zack
    Guest
    To be honest. Tiger is not that great. However, it's an upgrade! It means that you will have to upgrade either now or later. Some people won't upgrade with tiger and rather wait for 10.5 . Others, who have extra cash don't mind upgrading.

    dashboard, spotlight,safari RSS and automator are excellent tools but the tiger package is over priced.

    I recommend that you wait till the time to upgrade becomes essential (software no longer supports 10.3 which is rare) or do the upgrade with 10.5 which I hope has more reasonable features compared to price.

    I personally purchased tiger. I always use dashboard. I find it very helpful, but some times I regret what I spent on tiger.

    You will get the best deal from Apple stores, they offer free training sessions and the sales people are friendly and will expose you to tiger's new features by domenstrating them in front of you.

    In the end it's your decision.

  7. #7

    jram's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 08, 2005
    Posts
    472
    I fell for the Tiger movie, I made an appointment for them to install Tiger, what a mistake that was.. I love my Mac but it was like Tiger was in beta, none of my paid programs worked, safari froze at least 3 times a day.. I ended up taking the PB back and having them install Panther.. I thought by letting them install it, they would check it out first before giving to me, I guess they didn't..I will say they were very friendly and didn't try to talk me out of it and said many people were complaining..

  8. #8

    rs2sensen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416
    Specs:
    1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
    Well, I've decided to just go for it. I have the cash, and Panther CDs if it doesn't work well for me. I like to be with the newest out, and I'm not expecting that much. Now I'm just bargain hunting for the best price (I may have the cash, but I'm still cheap. And I'm not in a huge hurry which helps)...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. OS 10.3.9 ready for V.92?
    By protem in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 09:41 AM
  2. Hello there! Getting ready to switch...
    By The Tsar in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 05:59 PM
  3. Almost ready to Switch!
    By Glenners in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 02:04 PM
  4. am I ready?
    By Three in forum OS X - Development and Darwin
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-27-2006, 11:03 AM
  5. Almost ready to buy..
    By MarteDVX in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •