New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Question Mark on Startup....Seen other posts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gitsum

gitsum is on a distinguished road

Sorry, prob somewhere on the net, just can't find it. MBP 15" Getting the questionmark on restart. Have reinstalled OS X 10.5.8 twice. Tried disk util and sees the HD, 320GB Hitachi stock drive. Done a repair disk and permissions. Says Macintosh HD is OK and everything is in green several times. Reformated, repartitioned, tried to backup from Time Machine. Went from 297.8 GB free to 136.6 GB free after Time Machine b/u. I think it's sees the drive, just not booting. Tried the Option key to select startup drive, tried it from reinstall also. Have reset the PRAM several times. Anyone, please help me. Note: have seen things about limewire which i do not use.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

The question mark on startup indicates no boot device. With all the testing you did and reinstalling, but still no joy, it sure sounds like a bad hard drive.

I'm assuming you ran Disk Utility when booted from your Leopard DVD. How did you manage to do a Time Machine backup if you couldn't boot?

Anyway, it appears you need a new hard drive. Salvage what you can from the old one and press on.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
gitsum

chscag, thx for a reply. I did run DU from dvd. Did a restore system from TM backup. Took 2 hrs. Thats why I said I went from 297 to 136 GB because it did a restore to "Macintosh HD 297.8 GB Available" and said it completed without error. Restart and .... no restart
QUOTE Thanks
gitsum

Backing up from Time Machine right now and it says "Restoring Macintosh HD on volume Macintosh HD" 3.7% 3:19 Time remaining so it can find the drive and is writing to it I assume...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

OK. Let me know what happens when the restore finishes. It sounds like the drive may be OK but the boot sector has somehow become damaged. If the same problem occurs, there's something else you can try. Post back.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Did you be sure when you partitioned to make the partition GUID? If it's not GUID your Intel Mac will never boot.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with new mac please!! | Can't Move Files to Trash »