New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

From Tiger to Snow Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jospho

Jospho is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone! I recently registered an account here at Mac-Forums. (:
The site looks great, and I think I have my first question for the forum. I've tried searching it already, but I can't seem to find a case specifically like this.

I have a Snow Leopard disc here, and I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade two macs with Tiger to Snow Leopard? Here's specs for one

Secondly, will upgrading to Snow Leopard make certain older applications unusable, such as Adobe Photoshop 7 and CS4, older versions of Mac Mail, Safari, and so forth?
(And when installing Snow Leopard, will there be some sort of window telling me what applications will be unusable?)

And finally, will the Snow Leopard disc be able to download the OS to multiple computers?
Thanks a bunch!
-Josh
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Here's a few quick search results that I found ("tiger to snow leopard"). 1 2 3

Even if you determine it is "ethical" to make the jump from 10.4 - 10.6, you can't use the $29 SL upgrade disc on 2 machines. Only 1. You'd need the family pack.
QUOTE Thanks
Jospho

Jospho is on a distinguished road

Are you sure? I remember hearing that the disc was usable on multiple machines, due to the fact that it didn't require a serial code.
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

The EULA specifies that it can only be installed on 1 Apple computer at a time. The Family Pack gives you a license to install it on up to 5 Apple computers.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Even if you determine it is "ethical" to make the jump from 10.4 - 10.6, you can't use the $29 SL upgrade disc on 2 machines. Only 1. You'd need the family pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jospho View Post
Are you sure? I remember hearing that the disc was usable on multiple machines, due to the fact that it didn't require a serial code.
Well, roxie, that answers your question...

You can, but Apple doesn't want you to.

If more and more people rip them off in the way you're suggesting, the whole Mac community will be sentenced to the "locking mechanisms" used by Windows and others and make it more of a hassle for everyone. So, if you do it, don't brag about it. It won't make you popular around here.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
So in short you're saying it's ethical to break the EULA by sugrading from 10.4->10.6 with the SL disc only. But then you say it's unethical to break the EULA by using using the single computer SL disc on more then one computer instead of buying a family pack.

Both are breaking the EULA. It's funny you are condoning one and against the other.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
So in short you're saying it's ethical to break the EULA by sugrading from 10.4->10.6 with the SL disc only. But then you say it's unethical to break the EULA by using using the single computer SL disc on more then one computer instead of buying a family pack.

Both are breaking the EULA. It's funny you are condoning one and against the other.
Haha, No.
I was saying some people think it is ok to go from Tiger to SL. I'm saying it's up to his conscience, but I don't personally think it's right based on EULA.

The second part is my fault in misunderstanding the family pack vs. single disc. I didn't know that you could use a single upgrade disc on more than one computer. Didn't realize it was even possible.
I don't think either situation is right because it breaks EULA. But some people don't think it's that big of a deal. It would be nice if we all followed the "rules".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X Reinstall - Cannot install onto drive? | Where is my @ symbol on my imac keyboard? »