New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

EFI Boot


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Sennec

 
Sennec's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 16, 2007
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Posts: 424
Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Sennec is offline
I have Boot Camp installed and it has always been working normal. But today, I shut down Windows (XP) and I wanted to boot Snow Leopard again. Usually I have the option to choose between 'Mac' or 'Windows'. However, 'Mac' was now called 'EFI Boot'. And to make things even worse, when I clicked on it, a gray loading bar appeared at the bottom of the bootscreen. After it fully loaded, a blueish screen appeared with only my 'Gmail manager' icon at the top and NOTHING else! So, I'm a panicking quite a bit now.. Could anyone tell me what to do please, it'd be very much appreciated.

My system is a mbp (early 2008) and runs the latest version of SL.

UPDATE:
So I launched in EFI boot mode. Somehow, quicksilver did work and I managed to launch firefox, system preferences and a few other programs. However two things struck me as unusual. There's no finder. (when I click on the apple top-left and select force quit, there's no Finder)
Secondly, the system thinks my hard drive is full. When I try to download, install or even open a word file, I get the following warning message: "There is not enough room on the disk to save.." etc.

Another stain on the sidewalk.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,003
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Are you using any kind of boot menu or boot loader software? Or do you hold down the "Option" key and then choose which OS to boot? I ask because you said that usually you have the option to choose between Mac or Windows.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Sennec

 
Sennec's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 16, 2007
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Posts: 424
Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Sennec is offline
I hold down the option key, that's when I can choose between Mac or Windows.
See my post for new information. Your help is much appreciated.

Another stain on the sidewalk.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,003
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
I've never seen that one before, usually, it just won't boot. Have you been keeping up with backups? Time Machine? Because it looks like you've got a corrupt Snow Leopard install (files, folders) or the hard drive is acting up.

Boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD. After it boots, select Utilities from the top menu. Then select Disk Utilities. Run a verify and repair on the hard drive. Also repair permissions.

Post back the results.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dcow

 
dcow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2010
Posts: 65
dcow has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook (late-2008)

dcow is offline
Hmm.. you can try that but I don't think that's the issue. I simply think you have the wrong directory blessed blessed. Open system preferences and select Mac as the startup disk. Reboot, don't hold down option and let us know what happens.

If that works then reboot and hold down option and let us know what happens.

I suspect that might not do much so if it doesn't we're going to have to do some stuff with 'bless'. If you're familiar with the command line you can start to familiarize yourself with bless by reading it's man page.

type "bless --info" (no quotes) into terminal and let us know what it says. also do a "bless --getboot" and let us know. We can work from there.

However, it would be really nice if simply repairing the disk fixes it (=
QUOTE Thanks
Sennec

 
Sennec's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 16, 2007
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Posts: 424
Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Sennec is offline
A little update.
I was able to backup my drive through Time Machine. When that was done, I booted from my SL dvd. I tried to repair the drive, but it gave an error. So I just formatted the drive then and did a clean SL install. After that I copied the files I needed from the Time Machine backup via Finder. I hope this won't happen to me again.

Another stain on the sidewalk.
QUOTE Thanks
dcow

 
dcow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2010
Posts: 65
dcow has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook (late-2008)

dcow is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennec View Post
A little update.
I was able to backup my drive through Time Machine. When that was done, I booted from my SL dvd. I tried to repair the drive, but it gave an error. So I just formatted the drive then and did a clean SL install. After that I copied the files I needed from the Time Machine backup via Finder. I hope this won't happen to me again.
^^Probably the quickest fix (= Although, I was looking forward to working though/solving this one.
QUOTE Thanks
tropic

 
Member Since: Jun 26, 2009
Posts: 9
tropic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2.66 core 2 duo & 4gigs ram, iPhone 3G S 16 gig, Dell Mini9 running OSX.5.7 1.6 atom

tropic is offline
EFI? Do you also have a Hackintosh? I know that was a bootloader program I used when making my mini9 run 10.5 You may have accidently installed on your actual mac.
QUOTE Thanks
dcow

 
dcow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2010
Posts: 65
dcow has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook (late-2008)

dcow is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropic View Post
EFI? Do you also have a Hackintosh? I know that was a bootloader program I used when making my mini9 run 10.5 You may have accidently installed on your actual mac.
EFI is the preOS environment all Macs use. It's superior to a BIOS/MBR configuration because the EFI environment can be modified on the fly by the OS. It was developed by Intel in the 90s I believe. It is NOT native to Hackintosh.
QUOTE Thanks
eagle29

 
Member Since: Feb 23, 2010
Posts: 3
eagle29 is on a distinguished road

eagle29 is offline
Hello,

I've read all the posts on this topic but so far it does not help me...
I have a MacBook Pro, late 2006, that i used with OS X Tiger and Win XP. Several days ago, without any warning it restarted by itself and couldn't boot. Holding the option key during startup, instead of choosing between Macintosh HD and Windows, the options were EFI Boot and Windows. Choosing any of those two, my mac froze.

I booted my mac in Target mode using another mac and i was able to acces my HDD and save all the data. I checked the disk with disk utility...it was ok. Resetting the PRAM had no efect. I tried booting from an install disk...it freezes. I formated the disk via target mode, making a second partition, bootable...same result. I checked the memory chips. I have two, without any the led bliks (normal response for lack of memory), with one of the two chips or both i get the same result...

Does anyone have any clue what i'm dealing with? and, hopefully, an idea how to solve it?
QUOTE Thanks
sprale

 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Posts: 6
sprale is on a distinguished road

sprale is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle29 View Post
Hello,

I've read all the posts on this topic but so far it does not help me...
I have a MacBook Pro, late 2006, that i used with OS X Tiger and Win XP. Several days ago, without any warning it restarted by itself and couldn't boot. Holding the option key during startup, instead of choosing between Macintosh HD and Windows, the options were EFI Boot and Windows. Choosing any of those two, my mac froze.

I booted my mac in Target mode using another mac and i was able to acces my HDD and save all the data. I checked the disk with disk utility...it was ok. Resetting the PRAM had no efect. I tried booting from an install disk...it freezes. I formated the disk via target mode, making a second partition, bootable...same result. I checked the memory chips. I have two, without any the led bliks (normal response for lack of memory), with one of the two chips or both i get the same result...

Does anyone have any clue what i'm dealing with? and, hopefully, an idea how to solve it?
This is much closer to what I'm experiencing on my 2009 MacBook Pro. It's similar to the OP's issue, but I'm not sure if they're the same or different issues.

My original OS was getting bad, so I formatted and installed a new image on the drive. I was unable to boot from the optical drive or via bootable FW drive. I ended up doing it from another Mac via Target mode. Now when I boot with Option, I get EFI Boot as the volume name, but it freezes when I attempt to boot.

Dead-thread Necromancer!
QUOTE Thanks
stanley2010

 
Member Since: May 02, 2010
Posts: 1
stanley2010 is on a distinguished road

stanley2010 is offline
I had the same issue TWICE with dual-boot on mac: using windows then switching to max = EFI boot replacing MAC HD (though I can still boot on windows)

Apparently, the only solution is brutal formatting or Time Machine.

Does anyone else have a shorter solution or knows the root of the problem?
(mac developers?)

...I would gladly PAY for it because I need to work on windows too.

anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
riverteeth

 
riverteeth's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 13, 2007
Location: Taipei
Posts: 125
riverteeth is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

riverteeth is offline
Have you guys (eagle29, sprale, and stanley2010) tried dcow's suggestions in post #5 above? i.e.

Quote:
Open system preferences and select Mac as the startup disk. Reboot, don't hold down option and let us know what happens.

If that works then reboot and hold down option and let us know what happens.

I suspect that might not do much so if it doesn't we're going to have to do some stuff with 'bless'. If you're familiar with the command line you can start to familiarize yourself with bless by reading it's man page.

type "bless --info" (no quotes) into terminal and let us know what it says. also do a "bless --getboot" and let us know. We can work from there.

"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,892
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
This is much closer to what I'm experiencing on my 2009 MacBook Pro. It's similar to the OP's issue, but I'm not sure if they're the same or different issues.

My original OS was getting bad, so I formatted and installed a new image on the drive. I was unable to boot from the optical drive or via bootable FW drive. I ended up doing it from another Mac via Target mode. Now when I boot with Option, I get EFI Boot as the volume name, but it freezes when I attempt to boot.

A quick Google search reveals:

Boot Options Change To ‘efi Boot’ In Mac

Apple - Support - Discussions - EFI Boot Bug - Disk Warrior 4.2 ...

Boot drive options change to include 'EFI Boot' | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« help restarting | snow leopard cant copy files over 4gb to laptop HDD »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
G3 600mhz ibook very strange boot problem! Jimbob101 Apple Notebooks 0 07-20-2008 09:10 AM
Can You Install Boot Camp AFTER Parallels? bluto00 Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 2 11-03-2007 10:34 PM
Macbook - Linux triple boot issues - HELP jhquest Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 2 10-02-2007 10:55 PM
G4 MDD will only boot from firewire bovey Apple Desktops 2 08-29-2007 09:24 AM
Can't boot from cdrom rickenbacherus Other Hardware and Peripherals 2 07-31-2003 04:18 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?