New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Is anti virus software really needed for a Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

globalharvester

globalharvester is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac book pro 15" 2.4 Intel Core 2 duo

Hi,

When I switched to a mac from a pc almost 4 years ago (which I can't believe it took so long for me to switch!), I was told at the apple store that I did not need any anti virus software. I was just on apple's web site and I noticed that there was a "staff pick" for an anti-virus software.

Has there been a shift in the "force" and now macs need this software?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

nope your still fine. The only people that want to to put AV on your Mac are the makers of the AV.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'll wager none of the staff kept that pick on their machine after they finished testing.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Another vote for "no, it's not" from me.

But if you feel paranoid and want to install an AV anyway, at least don't be a sucker -- just get/use ClamX AV.

But again, there's really no need.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Nope.

More info: The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Lots of threads on this here. Search would have turned up a bunch, all with the same answer. Heck, even Google would do that.
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman3

rocketman3 is on a distinguished road

I have VM ware installed on my MacBook Pro/Leopard and sometimes must run XP to use some on-line programs. I use a LinkSys router so there is a firewall. Should I install AV (avast) on the XP side. Or what is best?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman3 View Post
I have VM ware installed on my MacBook Pro/Leopard and sometimes must run XP to use some on-line programs. I use a LinkSys router so there is a firewall. Should I install AV (avast) on the XP side. Or what is best?
If you have SP3 use MSE it works without bogging the Windows side down.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Another vote for MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials).
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

My (admittedly limited) testing of Avast on Windows machines shows it to be ineffectual. The only reason ANYONE really uses it is because its free (let's be honest).

Now that MSE is out I can't see any reason not to use that instead.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I agree with chas. Avast and AVG both are ineffective and use more resources than they should. MSE is not 100% effective (no AV is) but it's free, updates automatically, and stays out of the way.
QUOTE Thanks
5altyFX

5altyFX is on a distinguished road

Yea just Protect ur XP side but there is currently no Need for an AV for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Error 36 | New MacBook running Lion freezes when music CD inserted »