Using Firefox on a Mac
    So I've had my MBP for about a month now with Snow Leopard and tend to use both Safari and Firefox. Recently, I was on Firefox checking out a few blogs and all of a sudden got a pop-up. I closed the pop-up box and received another pop-up box. I ended up just quitting Firefox and everything was back to normal.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this while using Firefox on a Mac? The reason I switched to Mac from PC was to get away from these issues. I may just use Safari all the time now.

I also cleared the history and cookies of Firefox. But do you think I should reformat my entire MBP just to be on the safe side?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Wow..all this for a pop-up?? You might want to start by installing the Adblock and Flashblock extentions in Firefox. Also, ensure that you have the "Block pop-ups" set in the Firefox configuration.

With these steps, you'll find Firefox is perfectly fine..

Regards

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    G'day and welcome to the Forums.

As Raz0rEdge points out you do need to control the preferences of your browser/s. If you go into Firefox Preferences > Content and select the Block Pop Up Windows button sure you will have no further problems.

With this selected have never experienced a Pop Up.

Thanks for the response guys. In my Firefox preferences the "Block Pop-up Windows" is actually selected, which is why I was very surprised by when I received the pop-up. I'll try those Firefox extensions and see if they work.

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Clean the cache as it is possible you may have picked this up before the block was selected. Ad-Block Plus is also a good free program if you still have problems.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Interne...ock-Plus.shtml

^Thanks for that resource. I'll defintely check it out.

On another note, how concerned should I be about pop-ups on a Mac? Keep in mind, I've only had my MBP for about a month and my assumption has always been that you could never receive pop-ups, spyware, or viruses on a Mac.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Pop-ups != virus/malware/trojans and so on. Many websites have legitimate pop-ups that are no cause for concern and these websites don't care if you're on a Mac or Windows or Linux machine..

Regards

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    On a Mac, pop-ups are just ads. Nothing more.

Safari (and Firefox) try to block them, but of course the determined advertisers/malicious virus writers are always trying to find ways around that.

You've already received several recommendations for Firefox, and here's one for Safari (which I happen to like better): Safari Adblock (not to be confused with SafariBlock). It's (obviously) based on Firefox's add-on. I find it works very well.

That plus ClickToFlash and your entire surfing experience is REMARKABLY improved.

Thread Information