New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to add more icons to the dock - more than normal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bm0095

bm0095 is on a distinguished road

Hello. I have a large number of icons that I would like to use on the dock. I am using Tiger. Is there an app that will let me do this? What would be ideal would be to have one icon on the doc that when I hover over it expands out to show extra icons. Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
Babkockdood

Babkockdood is on a distinguished road

Leopard has stacks. Why don't you just update to Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Better still - IMO - use LaunchBar and reduce the clutter. Here is my desktop on boot up;

Click for full size
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Without meaning to take away from the excellent suggestions above, might I suggest a little dock organization?

The dock is designed to hold your "top dozen or two" favourite apps, not every single app you own. Instead of trying to cram them all into the Dock, try pulling most of them OFF the Dock till you get down to just your Top 20 or so favourites.

Then, on the right side of the dock, drag your Applications Folder down into the Dock. Now, click and hold on the Applications folder icon. Oh look! Every app you own, arranged in alphabetical order, which can be opened with literally a single click!

I have gone further than that and put some of my similar apps into their own folders (within the Applications Folder) such as Audio Apps, Video Apps, Online Radio, Adobe, iWork and so forth.

Then I drag those folders down into the dock. Click and hold to get instant access to your most used GROUPS of apps.

And yes, Stacks (once configured to your taste) in Leopard and Snow make this even MORE cool and efficient than it is in Tiger!

Give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Then, on the right side of the dock, drag your Applications Folder down into the Dock. Now, click and hold on the Applications folder icon. Oh look! Every app you own, arranged in alphabetical order, which can be opened with literally a single click!
I also do that too. I have the view option set to List which makes it similar to the Windows' Start Menu listing feature. Only my most used applications have shortcut icons on the Dock. A person can put a lot of icons in the Dock but they look better if you reduce the size of the Dock. I also put folders on the right side too for ones that I access frequently.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

I rarely use the dock for launching programs myself, I find it much easier to do ⌘+Space then type the first few letters of the application I want into Spotlight then return to launch.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
r.spitz

r.spitz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
I rarely use the dock for launching programs myself, I find it much easier to do ⌘+Space then type the first few letters of the application I want into Spotlight then return to launch.
I have a similar solution, but I fell in love with quicksilver a few years ago and still love it, launches apps and so much more
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Won't boot from OS X DVD | Error 43 when reopening altered PDFs »