Really stuck, cant install leopard
    OK this is a long story but il try explain as best as i can, i brought a powermac g5 2 weeks ago, it had leopard 10.5.8 installed on it and basically i messed it up, i booted the g5 up and it just showed me a folder (fudged), so i can no longer use my g5 as the person i gott he mac off didnt give me any disks, anyway i took it upon myself to download a copy of mac os x leopard and intended to use my LEGAL serial number that i had to install it, but my question is i downloaded leopard onto my pc and im unsure how to get the image to install on a brand new hard drive in the g5, the g5 has 2 hard drives both are empty now, so can i install of one of them if i somehow get the leopard image on there? if thats possible how could i do this?

Regards

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dazat5 View Post
    OK this is a long story but il try explain as best as i can, i brought a powermac g5 2 weeks ago, it had leopard 10.5.8 installed on it and basically i messed it up, i booted the g5 up and it just showed me a folder (fudged), so i can no longer use my g5 as the person i gott he mac off didnt give me any disks, anyway i took it upon myself to download a copy of mac os x leopard and intended to use my LEGAL serial number that i had to install it, but my question is i downloaded leopard onto my pc and im unsure how to get the image to install on a brand new hard drive in the g5, the g5 has 2 hard drives both are empty now, so can i install of one of them if i somehow get the leopard image on there? if thats possible how could i do this?
    There are so many things wrong about this post I don't know where to begin!!!

But for starters...Mac OS X DOES NOT have a LEGAL serial number...it has no serial number!!!

Also...Mac OS X is NOT downloadable...it is a disk only install!

Bottom line...just about everything you're doing is illegal!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Erm no before you start judging maybe you should ask and listen, let me correct you on something... when the G5 was working i took the 11 digit number from it as i wasnt sure if i would need it again, if its not a serial what is it? it was in "About This Mac" if you click on version number it shows SERIAL NUMBER!!, so like i said ask before you judge.

I just been reading that no mac os has a serial "my fault" i was just being safe incase i mess it up, let me explain a bit, im new to the mac world and am so use to using my serial number for installing windows every 3 months, im guessing the number i wrote down is the system serial number...

Specs:
    I just been reading that no mac os has a serial "my fault" i was just being safe incase i mess it up, let me explain a bit, im new to the mac world and am so use to using my serial number for installing windows every 3 months, im guessing the number i wrote down is the system serial number...
    Good we've cleared up the serial number issue!

But if you're not using an official retail disk (CD/DVD) to install Mac OS X...you doing it illegally! No downloading, no trying to load it on a PC to install on a Mac!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

yes i gathered that now, i had no idea.... well you gave me the answer im looking for anyway, im buying the retail dvd.

Thanks

Specs:
    yes i gathered that now, i had no idea.... well you gave me the answer im looking for anyway, im buying the retail dvd.

Thanks
    That's the best way to handle it! If you purchase a retail install DVD...you should have no problems doing the install.

By the way...since you have a G5 computer...the latest OS you can install is OS 10.5 (10.5.8). OS 10.5 is no longer sold at the Apple Store...so basically you have to purchase a retail copy off e-Bay, Craig's List, etc....gonna cost you at least $100-$125.

Good luck,

- Nick

yes i was looking on ebay just now, they have 10.5, i take it when thats installed i can update to 10.5.8?, sorry last question

Specs:
    yes i was looking on ebay just now, they have 10.5, i take it when thats installed i can update to 10.5.8?, sorry last question
    Once you have a retail install disk of OS 10.5...and install it...the updates of 10.5 are a free download.

When looking on e-Bay for a 10.5 retail disk...take notice that there are different versions. 10.5.0, 10.5.1, 10.5.4, 10.5.6., etc. For a Powermac G5 you can use any install disk version of 10.5.

Sometimes the "higher/more recent" versions of 10.5 will sell for a higher price...or "Buy It Now" auctions will have a higher price. So bid on versions like 10.5.0 or 10.5.1...and you may save a few bucks.

Also DO NOT buy the grey/silver 10.5 install disks! These are model specific, and most likely won't work on your G5. You need to purchase a "black" install disk with a BIG "X" on it.

Good luck,

- Nick

Thread Information