New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

save my bookmarks, and itunes playlists.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane is on a distinguished road

My imac has been dragging lately so I think it may be time to do a fresh install. anyway, how would I go about saving my favorites to an external so I can load them up again when I get finished installing? also how would I do this with my itunes music library. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

By favorites you mean bookmarks, and saving you mean copy back? If so, user/library/application support/browser (firefox, etc)
iTunes... user/library/preferences/and copy over all the com.apple.iTunes .plist's, as well as copying over the contents of user/music/iTunes folder and you should be set.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

If this is not what you mean, then you may want to be a little more specific
QUOTE Thanks
ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane is on a distinguished road

well come to think about it im not worried about bookmarks, but I have an 80plus GB library in itunes, the files are all on external hard drives. but when I reinstall, I want to be able to put whatever file I need back wherever it needs to go rather than adding all of those songs to itunes all over again. that and keep my playlists even though they are small. and I only have a few.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

If you drag all the contents of itunes in your music folder from your external over to your internal and replace it, that will take care of putting all your music back where you want it.
As for the playlists, I can't be 100% certain, just 99%, but if you drag over all the com.apple.iTunes ...plists from user/library/preferences on a backup to your internal, that should take care of that

I lost my playlists some time ago when I did a clean install of snow leopard, and haven't created new ones to test it out for you now, but I'm most certain that what I have suggested above will take care of it.

Here is a link that may throw you off
iTunes: How to backup and restore playlists
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I've highlighted the file that has your playlists., but what you want to do is to drag all the contents of that itunes folder from your external and replace the contents of your fresh internal with it

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Startup Disk, do i have to backup? | Snow Leopard: is it safe to go in the water? »