New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Leopard Install Disk won't boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

apple laura

apple laura is on a distinguished road

Hey there. I've got a G4 Power Mac, Dual 867 Mhz with 768 MB of Ram, and it's currently running OS 10.3.9.

I've just bought the Leopard DVD, but though it pops up on my screen to "initiate install" when I insert the disk, everytime my computer restarts, it just brings it back to 10.3.9. I've changed the hard disk in my settings to boot from the dvd, I've pressed the option button while restarting (only shows my 2 current drives, and not the Leopard disk), and I've tried pressing C when restarting (nothing happens).

Where am I going wrong? I confess that I haven't been able to repair my current hard drive with Disk Utility because I can't find my OS 10.3.9 disk. Is that important?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give.

I'll add that I also just installed a combo drive in order to be able to read the Leopard disk, and given my relative lack of experience, it's possible that it might be the culprit as well.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Boot up into 10.3. Put the disc in. Can you read it?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
apple laura

My computer seems to be able to read the Leopard DVD-- at least, it's visible as another startup disk in the Control Panel, and I can select it. Which I have, but my computer still boots in 10.3.

It also seems to begin the process of installation when I click on the "Install Mac OS X" icon on the dvd, but it just reboots and brings me back to the same screen. I then can keep doing that ad infinitum, but it doesn't actually start installing anything.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

This is a 'black' disc and not gray?

QUOTE Thanks
apple laura

Yes, it's the black one.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Sounds to me like you've tried everything I could recommend.
Try starting installer from inside 10.3
Boot holding down the option key
Boot holding down the 'C' key
Clean the disc whether it appears to need it or not and then try those three again.

After that, not sure - hang out or check back - maybe some of the PPC experienced folks will have something for you. I'm an Intel newb.

QUOTE Thanks
apple laura

Ok, I'll give it another go-round; thanks for the help anyhow, Bob.
QUOTE Thanks
Ketan

Ketan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13-Inch, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, Intel Core 2 Duo, Snow Leopard

Just tern on your Power Mac, Boot from 10.3 and then pop in the CD, double-click the CD and click Install Leopard, If that does not help, then sorry I don't know what the problem is
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Also if it still fails to boot off the 10.5 DVD, you might try a PRAM reset. It can't hurt and might help since you say the 10.5 DVD mounts on the desktop in 10.3.

To reset the PRAM hold down Command+Option+P+R all at the same time right when you hear the startup sound and keep them down. Listen for 2 more startup sounds then release the 4 keys.

Also try what Ketan said and run the installer from within 10.3 and it should ask to reboot. See if it then comes up in 10.5.

Also you did say it was a black DVD. Just being sure it's not a 10.5 DVD that came with another Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
apple laura

Ok, I think I got it to work! Thanks everyone, for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I saw your post before you edited it and was going to say is the DVD clean? No fingerprints? If you said Yes I was going to say the DVD drive in the old Powermac is probably dying.

Do tell us what you did.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot camp error? | How can you view an audio CD as a data CD? »