New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unreal Costs of Mac OS 10.5 Install Disks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Usually when someone posts on Mac-Forums wondering if they should update to Mac OS 10.5 Leopard...I usually try to warn them that an install disk is going to cost in the neighborhood of $100-$125 (e-Bay prices)...and sometimes more. This is an especially important consideration if the person thinking about doing this OS update has a computer that isn't worth much more than the cost of the 10.5 install disk.

Anyway...$100-$125 for a 10.5 install disk purchased via e-Bay does sound a bit steep (considering it's an older OS...but still in demand among G4 & G5 users). Well I was doing some internet shopping...and came across MegaMacs. They're selling Mac OS 10.5.6 install DVD's for $229.99...and Mac OS 10.5.0 for $199.99!

These prices are for the single user version...not the 5-user Family Pack!!!

MegaMacs.com - Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard Operating System Single User Retail Box, Part # MC094Z/A

MegaMacs.com - Mac OS X 10.5.0 Leopard Operating System Upgrade from any version of Tiger, OEM CPU Drop In Kit

YIKES...That's pretty darn pricey!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Supply and demand. And since there's lots of folks on PPC who drug their feet upgrading, they are now seeing the results of doing so.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Supply and demand. And since there's lots of folks on PPC who drug their feet upgrading, they are now seeing the results of doing so.
Yes definitely supply & demand. Some folks upgrading think that $100-$125 on e-Bay is expensive for 10.5...those prices almost seem like a bargain compared to $229.99!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'm gonna have to put my spare Family pack up for sale.

Along with the new gigabit nic I have sitting here that hasn't been opened.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And as the man said about suckers? To me it seems Apple abandoned selling Leopard much too early to go completely with this Intel thinking that prevails at Apple HQ.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

I say it again ... Mac-Forums, instead of nah-nah-nah-ing those of us who simply cannot afford to go with the latest, and must by circum$tance stick with older OS and PPC machines, should do something constructive via the Buy/Sell/Trade section (a Sticky for example) to make older OS disks available - legally - at reasonable cost.

Mods & Admin, you should be promoting the concept of M-F members 'trading in' their old, and no longer wanted, OS disks.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It's really not cool that Apple stopped selling Leopard and left PPC users out in the cold. Would it really have been that much trouble to sell them side by side instead of letting its users go off on their own and get gouged with these insane prices?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I'm gonna have to put my spare Family pack up for sale.
This would be interesting. I have not seen any Leopard 10.5 Family Packs available for sale anywhere...so it would be interesting to see if it sells for more, and if so how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
It's really not cool that Apple stopped selling Leopard and left PPC users out in the cold. Would it really have been that much trouble to sell them side by side instead of letting its users go off on their own and get gouged with these insane prices?
I agree. I think Leopard originally sold for between $100-$129 at the Apple Store. So if someone was able to purchase a used copy of 10.5 for that price on e-Bay (which that is actually what many used copies are selling for on e-Bay)...then that's not really too bad of a deal.

But some e-Bay guys are selling copies of 10.5 for much higher & some online stores (like the one I linked originally) are really going "over the top" charging $229 for something that originally cost $100-$129.

Apple really could have continued to sell Leopard 10.5 for at least a while longer considering there seems to still be a decent demand for it among upgrading Tiger users, and a lot of folks buying used faster G4's & G5's...who don't have a 10.5 install disk.

But like "cwa107" mentioned earlier (supply & demand)...unfortunately if some folks are willing to pay those insane prices..the prices will remain high.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

OO, Time to sell mine then!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Haven't you all read the posts about people calling Apple and ordering a Leopard disc? I don't know how much they paid, or if there are any left, but it's worth a try for someone who wants/needs one.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Why would ANYONE buy the 10.5.6? LOL I just upgraded the GF's MB from Tiger to Leopard with my family pack 10.5.0 and then did the free software update to get 10.5.8.

That's stupid.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Yikes. I know used the leopard upgrade disks and it cost me a whole $10 (if I remember correctly) from apple at the time. And now they want $199 for the same DVD. Talk about extortion. That's almost 20x the the price Apple charged for the disc.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG View Post
Why would ANYONE buy the 10.5.6? LOL I just upgraded the GF's MB from Tiger to Leopard with my family pack 10.5.0 and then did the free software update to get 10.5.8.

That's stupid.
The main reason why someone may NEED to purchase a Mac OS 10.5.6 install disk...is when new Macintosh computers are first released...they have a "minimum" OS version that can be installed on them.

For example:

- the absolute newest 8-Core Mac Pro when it first shipped, came with Mac OS 10.5.6. This means that it's possible that an older version of Leopard like 10.5.0...would not install, or would not install everything this Mac Pro needed to run properly.

- likewise...the newest 17" MacBook Pro with the 2.8ghz processor (mid-2009 model)...first shipped with OS 10.5.7. So again...earlier versions of the Mac OS may not install properly.

But I totally agree...there's absolutely no reason to pay a premium price for a 10.5.6 install DVD (over the 10.5.0 version) if the Macintosh that 10.5 is being installed on is on the older side (originally shipped with a version of OS 10.4 "Tiger"). And then of course get the free updates to 10.5.8.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Haven't you all read the posts about people calling Apple and ordering a Leopard disc? I don't know how much they paid, or if there are any left, but it's worth a try for someone who wants/needs one.
When I inquired a couple of weeks ago, by ringing the UK apple store, I was told that a 10.5.6 DVD would cost me UK£85 ($136.98 at today's rate) according to www.xe.com
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG View Post

That's stupid.
Uhmmm, because they don't have a Leopard disc?

They wouldn't if they already owned a Leopard disc as you have.

No one is purchasing the Leopard 10.5.6 disc that already has a Leopard disc.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« High CPU usage with nothing running | Snow Kitty's Software RAID »