New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

10.4.1 Eats my G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

I have had my G5 2.0 since last November and have installed every update that Apple has put out with NO problems what ever. I installed Tiger the day it came out with NO problems. Looks like my luck ran out. I just installed 10.4.1 on it a few minutes ago and zap, my G5 no longer will boot up.

Comes up with the white screen and the apple and the little whirley gig goes round and round. The fans come up a tad and it just sits there. After a bit it turns the screen a gray color and gives me a notice that i need to turn the power off and reboot. I get the same thing now for 5 retrys.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
crazycanadian

did you try to boot into safe mode by holding down shift during start up?
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Try this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106464
QUOTE Thanks
code777

man. keep us informed. i just updated both iMac and iBook with no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanadian
did you try to boot into safe mode by holding down shift during start up?
Yes, doesn't work, won't go into safe mode.

QUOTE Thanks
crazycanadian

that sucks dude, give apple a call
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

ahh can you boot to ur Tiger Cd.. insert it in drive and boot while holding the C..
iff you have another mac with a firewire cable u can boot into target diskmode and get all important info and then boot to the Tiger CD and do a freshinstall
QUOTE Thanks
prostuff1

prostuff1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)

Try zapping the PRAM by holding Apple + Option + P + R keys. Let is beep a couple of times (3 i think) then let go of the keys and let it restart.
QUOTE Thanks
James

Ok, back online and back in business...

Everything was working fine until i installed the 10.4.1 update, then all of a sudden it would not boot up anymore and kept telling me to reboot. Holding the Shift key at boot trying for a safe mode would not work. After trying a few of the tricks people mentioned, nada... Kinda figured maybe some third party app was hanging things up, but if you can't boot up you can't get to it to uninstall it. Soooo.

Did a archive and install back to 10.4. It booted up with most everyting in place. Then i did another install of 10.4.1 from a .dmg and it went right in and worked just fine. Added back what i thought was the offending 3rd party app, which was a cursor editor program and it also worked just fine... at a loss to know just what the heck happened the first time.

However, i do find some problems with the 10.4.1 install, or maybe it is because of the archive and install, not sure which. I am finding that i have to reinstall quite a few programs that no longer work. For example:

My virus program won't run
My backup program won't run
Stuffit won't run
Zeno reader would not work
X11 won't run so gimp won't run

By reinstalling i am fixing everything above except the X11. When i try to install it, it refuses to install saying that there is a newer version already installed...but anyway, i am mostly back to where i was...

QUOTE Thanks
IChing

What virus program are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
By reinstalling i am fixing everything above except the X11. When i try to install it, it refuses to install saying that there is a newer version already installed...but anyway, i am mostly back to where i was...

Man, I'm having this same problem. Whenever I try to install X11 it says I can't because I already have a newer version, but I don't have any X11 on my computer.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Man, I'm having this same problem. Whenever I try to install X11 it says I can't because I already have a newer version, but I don't have any X11 on my computer.

-Chris

Found a working solution. James tried it and it installed. Don't use the one from Apple. Go on the Tiger DVD to the Developer tools I believe, and you will find toward the bottom the X11 package. Install that. It worked for James and others.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

stuffit doesn't work for me. or it works differently now. it doesn't unzip stuff right away. i have to double click the icon to unzip. on my iBook stuffit stopped working after 10.4.1 so i downloaded the newer version of stuffit and now it works but just not the same as it use to.
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Found a working solution. James tried it and it installed. Don't use the one from Apple. Go on the Tiger DVD to the Developer tools I believe, and you will find toward the bottom the X11 package. Install that. It worked for James and others.

Great, thanks!

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Problem is it says it installed it, but it still doesn't work.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .Mac Sync Problems | Dashboard widgets »