New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

10.6 to 10.5 Downgrade Caveats?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PlasticChicken

PlasticChicken is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry if this is a repeated question - Did a search but came up with nothing really pertaining to my issue... ANYWAY

Running 10.6 on an older 13" Macbook - was an upgrade from when they released SnowLeopard. I'm experiencing issues similar to what's been reported on the Air(s) in terms of video pixellation and worse...

Besides the core applications that came with 10.6 I really have nothing that won't work on 10.5 and have a solid backup of the applications and such that I ran last night (just direct copy, figure TM on 10.6 may not jive with TM on 10.5)...

I know another rev for 10.6 is coming out shortly (or so it's been rumored), and I'm considering either just stripping 10.6 off and reinstalling 10.5 from the OEM disks that came with the unit, or waiting to see if the new rev fixes the problems, but wanted the experts opinions on it first...

Sooo... Downgrade? Don't downgrade and wait for the revision? Stop whining? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Well...the "Stop Whining" suggestion is tempting

I'm assuming since you mentioned that this is an "older" MacBook...that it no longer has any warranty left. So lets hope the problem is software based & not a hardware issue.

But if you have install disks for both 10.5 & 10.6...I would say go ahead & give the downgrade a try & see if helps with the video problems. If the 10.5 install doesn't help, you can always reinstall 10.6.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
PlasticChicken

PlasticChicken is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, Nick - Older, yes, so warranty, not any more. I'm pretty positive it's not a hardware issue.

Any thoughts on the TM thing I mentioned? Am I correct in assuming a TM backup made running 10.6 probably won't function correctly under 10.5? Probably better off just copying the items back individually, eh?

Thanks again

Jay
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help!! My Mac is stuck on Attempting to load a 64 bit application! | Missing Security Button »