Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Upgrading OS question

    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Upgrading OS question
    Hello,

    Im pretty illiterate when it comes to computer talk. I would like to upgrade my Imac to a higher OSX, currently running 10.4.11, which i believe is Tiger? I would like to go 10.5, or even 10.6 if its possible? My IMac specs are:

    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

    Do you think i can upgrade to 10.6 Snow Leopard? Also, to upgrade, do i need the $130 box set for snow leopard, or can i get away with the $30 upgrade cd? I dont use imovie or iphoto anything like that, mainly itunes and thats about it, so i think the $130 box set would be a waste? Thanks again, its greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Upgrading OS question
    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,968
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Yes you can go to Snow leopard, I would upgrade the ram tho to 2, or really 4 gig

    Technically you need to buy the box set, but the upgrade CD on its own will still work and install properly

    Make sure you make a back-up first before any major upgrade
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

  3. #3
    Upgrading OS question

    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    Yes you can go to Snow leopard, I would upgrade the ram tho to 2, or really 4 gig

    Technically you need to buy the box set, but the upgrade CD on its own will still work and install properly

    Make sure you make a back-up first before any major upgrade
    Thanks for the reply. Is it really necessary to upgrade the ram? I dont want to have to open up the computer or have someone else do it. Also, comparing the box set and jsut the upgrade cd, what is the difference? As far as i can tell the box set has the upgrade cd and the ilife 09'? Ilife would be upgrading imovie, iphoto im guessing? Again, thanks for the reply. Im not too keen on the computer, as far as operating systems and whatnot, lol.

  4. #4
    Upgrading OS question
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,832
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    1GB will be fine for Leopard. That's what I have.

    If you decide to go to Snow Leopard, I bet you'd be disappointed in performance with only 1GB.

  5. #5
    Upgrading OS question

    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    1GB will be fine for Leopard. That's what I have.

    If you decide to go to Snow Leopard, I bet you'd be disappointed in performance with only 1GB.
    Ok, thanks. I guess im stuck with just leopard. I looked all over the apple store, yet couldnt find the OSX cd for it? Where would i go for it?

  6. #6
    Upgrading OS question
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,244
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Did you ask one of the salespersons at the Apple store? The Snow Leopard upgrade DVD package is stocked along with the other software titles. And as far as upgrading memory goes, it's very easy to do on an iMac. You do not have to go into the machine as the memory is accessible from the outside.

    Regards.

  7. #7
    Upgrading OS question

    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Did you ask one of the salespersons at the Apple store? The Snow Leopard upgrade DVD package is stocked along with the other software titles. And as far as upgrading memory goes, it's very easy to do on an iMac. You do not have to go into the machine as the memory is accessible from the outside.

    Regards.
    Thanks. I havent been to the apple store, was just browsing on their website. As far as memory, after watching a vid, i realized how easy it is, haha. I have a early imac 10.4.11 osx, late 2007 i believe. As far as memory goes, is there a certain kind, or is ram pretty much universal? I have no idea clue about this kinda stuff. Thanks again, much appreciated.

  8. #8
    Upgrading OS question

    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzrider08 View Post
    Thanks. I havent been to the apple store, was just browsing on their website. As far as memory, after watching a vid, i realized how easy it is, haha. I have a early imac 10.4.11 osx, late 2007 i believe. As far as memory goes, is there a certain kind, or is ram pretty much universal? I have no idea clue about this kinda stuff. Thanks again, much appreciated.
    Nevermind, i was able to answer my own question with some research. Found i have the 5,1 2 duo mac, so i can do a 4gig max ram, ddr2. Found a website that shows what you can use for what year mac, OWC if your wondering. So im thinking of doing the 4g ram and snow leopard. Thanks again everyone for the help, greatly appreciated.

  9. #9
    Upgrading OS question
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,832
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzrider08 View Post
    Ok, thanks. I guess im stuck with just leopard. I looked all over the apple store, yet couldnt find the OSX cd for it? Where would i go for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzrider08 View Post
    Nevermind, i was able to answer my own question with some research. Found i have the 5,1 2 duo mac, so i can do a 4gig max ram, ddr2. Found a website that shows what you can use for what year mac, OWC if your wondering. So im thinking of doing the 4g ram and snow leopard. Thanks again everyone for the help, greatly appreciated.
    Ok, since you seem to be vacillating here, and you have the answer you need for Snow Leopard, here's what you do for Leopard:

    No, you won't find the retail disc (black with large 'X' on it) at the Apple Store, brick and mortar or online. But, if you go to the online store and find the toll free number, you can order one, if they still have them. I have seen other people post about doing that. Sorry, I don't recall the price.

  10. #10
    Upgrading OS question

    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Ok, since you seem to be vacillating here, and you have the answer you need for Snow Leopard, here's what you do for Leopard:

    No, you won't find the retail disc (black with large 'X' on it) at the Apple Store, brick and mortar or online. But, if you go to the online store and find the toll free number, you can order one, if they still have them. I have seen other people post about doing that. Sorry, I don't recall the price.
    Thanks. I'll probably end up with the 4g ram upgrade and snow leopard. I plan on keeping this computer for a few more years, so a little upgrade cant hurt. Didnt realize how easy it was to switch out memory on the imac. Looks like it will be around $100 for the ram and $30 for the cd, so for a $130 upgrade, not bad in my book, better then a new computer!

  11. #11
    Upgrading OS question
    clayneal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Posts
    2,146
    Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    No you can't just use the upgrade disc.

    Apple?s EULA Forbids Direct Upgrade from Tiger to OS X 10.6 - Although, technically, it works like a charm - Softpedia

    just play by the rules and don't screw apple or they will start to screw us. Not to mention it's just wrong to steal and that's just what you would be doing.

    Maybe I am just a little old fashioned and I am sure this will bring out the yells of "fanboy" but right is right.

    Clay
    MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

  12. #12
    Upgrading OS question
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,832
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Yeah Grizz, afraid he's correct. The $29 SL license is for current 10.5 license holders. Apple is selling what they chose to call a "box set" for earlier version owners that is $169 but also includes iWork '09 (Pages, Numbers, Keynote). Bummer. I'd pay more than $29 for just SL if they offered it to upgrade our Tiger iMac, but I'm waiting on a new pricing /bundling structure or 10.7

  13. #13
    Upgrading OS question

    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2010
    Posts
    7
    The whole thing though, i dont use iphoto, imovie, or any of those other applications. So i basically have to buy updated versions of those even if i dont use them?

  14. #14
    Upgrading OS question
    clayneal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Posts
    2,146
    Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    Of course you could probably find a copy of leopard on eBay and from there you would be able to use the snow leopard update and that should save you some money.

    Clay
    MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

  15. #15
    Upgrading OS question
    Nighthawk4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    724
    Specs:
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    I have no idea if this is possible, but in theory if Apple are selling Snow Leopard for $29 or whatever, then I can't believe that they would be charging as much as $100 for Leopard (assuming they still have it).

    So perhaps you could buy Leopard for less than $100 and then you would be perfectly legal in buying Snow Leopard for $29 and you would have moved from Tiger to Snow Leopard for less than $129.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question Re: Upgrading to 10.6.8 from 10.6.6
    By JohnIII in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 07:27 PM
  2. upgrading question?
    By flea620 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 09:39 AM
  3. Upgrading HD and have a question
    By Vomit Stain in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM
  4. Upgrading Question
    By scdsteffes in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 09:58 AM
  5. question about Upgrading
    By Dario D. in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 05:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •