New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Western Digital, Snow Leopard , Time Machine...INCOMPATIBLE!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jeff_Simmon

Jeff_Simmon is on a distinguished road

I just bought a WD MY Book 1 TB hard drive to back up my new Mac Laptop. I hooked it up, set up TIme machine. pressed start and It looked like it was working...for about 3 GB...then it died. That was 3 weeks ago. Now I've scoured FAQ's, forums, and WD support sites. They, (WD) now tell me that Snow Leopard & Time Machine are INCOMPATIBLE with one another and that I need to get Apple to resolve this issue. I'm new the the Mac after a 20 +year hiatus. Any truth to this or is WD just blaming Apple for their product? My case with WD is #010410-6979384. Is it possible that Western Digital no longer makes Apple Compatible products?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Ummm that be weird you say that as i have a WD MY Book 1TB HD and hooked it up straight out of the box and TM did the rest ....
Im running SL as well
WD are passing the buck me thinks

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Return it for a new one. Tell them it is defective and you want a replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think WD was handing you a big load. I have been running Time Machine under Snow Leopard since SL was released. Not only is it working I have had fewer errors now than under Leopard. I have had to verify/repair the Time Machine drive once.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Agreed with the rest, Time Machine works great on Snow Leopard. I currently use it with a ReadyNAS for storage. I bought a 250GB WD MyBook a couple of years ago and the thing misbehaved from the first day, random disconnects and so on. Had to RMA it and get a second one which worked WAY better and more reliably.

So definitely return the drive quickly and get a replacement..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I believe you found a tech who decided to increase their handled calls, thus the metrics that no doubt their call center goes by. Call back, demand to speak to a supervisor and tell them their techs are full of it and that Time machine works quite well on snow leopard.. and hey, it even works well with another 1tb mybook.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

My external disks are WD. One used for TimeMachine and one with SuperDuper! All on Snow Leopard. They work fine. They did before I upgraded to SL as well.
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

yzfmik is on a distinguished road

On the same subject, can I get a WD hard drive and do Time Machine on my iMac & MacBook? It would stay connected to the iMac and occasionally I would want to backup the contents of the MacBook.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
 MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz
 iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz /  iPod 30GB /  iPhone 5 32GB
 iPad 2 64GB / 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB/ iPad Mini 32GB
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Just got my son a WD Studio 1TB . Worked with Snow Leopard/TM out of the box.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow Mac - suddenly! | Mac Pro, OS Version 10.4.11 »