New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

migration assistant - from Mac Mini to iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

grey owl

grey owl is on a distinguished road

I just bought an iMac running Snow Leopard.
I wish to migrate all my data (apps, e-mails, docs) from my previous Mac Mini running Tiger to the iMac.
I try using the migration assistant without firewire cable (through a direct ethernet cable or through a WiFi LAN).
I get as far as entering the code generated by the iMac on the Mini, but then the Mini asks for the code a second time and after a few seconds starts searching for other computers while the iMac waits with preparing the data.
If I go back on the iMac, it generates a new code which the Mini detects and allows to enter it but the loop described above starts again.

On the Mini, the OS is X.4.11 and the migration assistant is version 1.0.6 (101.1).
The iMac is running X.6.2 and migration assistant version 3.0 (318).

Any ideas why the transfer does not get any further?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
kristi nason

kristi nason is on a distinguished road

I'm in the exact same situation.
I was told earlier by Apple support to run software upgrade on both. The G4 was up to date. The new G5 required a 2 hour download of upgrades that are now complete, but it didn't solve the problem.
I was also told that I may have to get a firewire cable. He didn't know of any reason why the ethernet connection wouldn't work perfectly, but clearly it isn't. That requires a trip into town tomorrow.
He also suggested that upgrading my older mac to 10.5 could be helpful. This is not available from Apple. It is only available as media shipped from third party suppliers online (I found a supplier for $16 plus $10 shipping, but I'll make sure other options don't work first. I fear that the OS upgrade will render some external devices useless)

The next thing I will try is to copy my G4 hard drive onto my external hard drive and then try to migrate from that. (This will take many hours, but I'll do the copy overnight) I'll keep you posted on my success or failure.

I look forward to any alternate solutions that may be presented here.
QUOTE Thanks
kristi nason

kristi nason is on a distinguished road

I'm really hoping to get the migration assistant to work, but if it doesn't, Apple support provided me with this link which suggests manually copying folders from one hard drive to the other.
Apple - Support - Discussions - kimaccdual: A Basic Guide for Migrating ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Similar word processor software. | tryin to install updates killed my mac »